Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cw0xxxe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My last Pavillion had a check box to disable the touchpad while using a usb mouse. On this new Pavillion its not there. Help!

Thanks and best regards,

MBMc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MBMc the steps provided were to disable Elan drivers, well, since it didn't work on this laptop, here are a few other things you can try:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and select Control Panel from the list.
  2. When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Soundsection and select Mouse.
  3. When Mouse settings window opens, you should see ELANor Device Settings tab. Switch to it.
  4. Locate Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached option and enable it.
  5. Click Apply and OK to save changes.

If that doesn't work or isn't available, a registry edit should be the solution for us, I'd personally suggest a registry backup by clicking on file and export before performing the below steps, to be on a safer side:

1. Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey in the left pane.
  2. Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor.

After making those changes your touchpad will now be disabled every time you connect a mouse to your laptop. As you can see, even though this option isn’t available, you can still enable it by following these steps. We have to mention that this solution applies only if you’re using ELAN touchpad.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

@MBMc You can enable/disable the touchpad option from Control panel under Mouse option. Control panel contains settings of all the system device installed on the computer.

To disable the touchpad option on the computer, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Control panel from the context menu.
  2. From the top right corner of the screen click on View by and select Large icons.
  3. Click on Mouse option from the window.
  4. Click on Device settings tab from the Mouse properties screen, button the Disable button to turn off the touchpad option. 
  5. Click on Apply and OK.
  6. Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

P.S: Welcome to HP Forums! 😉

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Those instructions worked for my older version of the Pavillion 360. That model has the Symantic touchpad. I reciently purchased a new Pavillion notebook and looked for that very check box. I'm not sure where to go next. I even went so far as to disable the driver. When that didn't work I even tried to uninstall the driver. No dice. So if you would take another crack at it, I would be grateful. The touchpad on this model is an Elan.

Best regards,

MBMc

HP Recommended

@MBMc the steps provided were to disable Elan drivers, well, since it didn't work on this laptop, here are a few other things you can try:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and select Control Panel from the list.
  2. When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Soundsection and select Mouse.
  3. When Mouse settings window opens, you should see ELANor Device Settings tab. Switch to it.
  4. Locate Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached option and enable it.
  5. Click Apply and OK to save changes.

If that doesn't work or isn't available, a registry edit should be the solution for us, I'd personally suggest a registry backup by clicking on file and export before performing the below steps, to be on a safer side:

1. Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey in the left pane.
  2. Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor.

After making those changes your touchpad will now be disabled every time you connect a mouse to your laptop. As you can see, even though this option isn’t available, you can still enable it by following these steps. We have to mention that this solution applies only if you’re using ELAN touchpad.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's the ticket. Thanks for walking me through the potential minefield that is "the registry".

Best regards,

MBMc

HP Recommended

@MBMc The pleasure is all mine, I'm glad you've trusted me enough to walk through it 😉

If you need anything else, tag me or simply write back to us anytime.

Have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This also worked for me after a reboot, and I'm very grateful.  The option used to be in touchpad settings, but an update removed it and at the same time rendered ineffective a registry hack to keep num lock on. 

HP Recommended

Now that the newest update has happened, I'm stuck with the clickpad interferring in my life. The "disable" button was nowhere to be found. It was Elan, and I uninstalled it, but like frankenstein's monster, it lives on.

HP Recommended

Ok. This is me replying to myself.

After posting my question, I kept on and on. Of course, once the Elan Clickpad re-installed itself (Yes, it will do that for eternity) I was able to change the settings through regedit. One thing, though, restart of PC is necessary for it to take effect.

The method which worked for my

HP Pavilion - 15t Laptop

Product number: 3BJ31AV

is

Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey in the left pane.
Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor.

This answer originally came from

HP Support Agent

Restart of PC is necessary for it to take effect.

I think the secret is to avoid messing about and just go to the correct answer. LOL

HP Recommended

Hi everybody...

This is my first post here...

I bought recently the  HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd0xxx and after changing the value to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey from 0 to 1 i restarted my laptop and nothing happened...

Any suggestion???

Thanks for any reply...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.