Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-j051ei Notebook PC
Other

Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I upgraded from Windows 8.1

My second monitor connected via HDMI worked fine with Windows 8.1

Now I get a message -  Your PC can't project to another screen

I have downloaded and installed the Windows 10 driver for the Nvidia GeForce GT 740M but it has made no difference.

Please I need some help

Thank you

Michael

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Make sure everything is plugged in right and restart both computers and make sure the usb cables are recognized in the computers

HP Recommended

After much frustration yesterday and last night, this morning it just worked. I am not sure why.

HP Recommended
Simply bring up your device manager: You can connect to the device manager by typing it on the search bar. On the device manager select the Display Adapters and Update the HD graphics family. NB: You need internet connection to fix this. Enjoy
HP Recommended

Thank u so much:) Updating HD graphics in Display adapters in Device manager finally worked:)

HP Recommended

Had to create an account just to thank you for that post, lol. You saved me a lot of time and frustration!! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

When I try to update the driver for my HP HD 4000 Graphics card I get a message that says "the best driver software for your device is already installed."

And yet.................it won't open/provide the ability to add a second screen.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended

am very grateful. I was able to fix same problem after going through your reply and the steps you took. Thank you Adeola.

@Adeola wrote:
Simply bring up your device manager: You can connect to the device manager by typing it on the search bar. On the device manager select the Display Adapters and Update the HD graphics family. NB: You need internet connection to fix this. Enjoy

HP Recommended

My laptop HDMI is now working!

Thanks

HP Recommended

Adeola:  I've tried your solution with no luck.  The initial message I get says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".  Then when I update it tell me everything is okay, but nothing has changed.  Second monitor displays "No Signal".

The frustrating thing is that I was using two monitors for months with no problems, then all of a sudden this happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.