Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an original series HP Spectre x360 13-4003dx with Windows 10. I cannot connect a vga display to the x360 Mini DisplayPort. I am using a miniDisplayport to vga cable from CableDeconn. Typing (Windows) + P, I try to switch to dual displays, either mirrored or extended, and also try to click on "detect display" but get the error message, cannot detect.

i have rolled back the graphic drivers to the original install, and also updated to the most recent. Neither works. I also removed pin 9 from the VGA side of the cable (15 pin cable, reduced to 14 pin).  I removed the pin because I heard that some cables send voltage thru that pin, and shouldn't. Nothing works.

i have tried it on a Planar vga only monitor, a Samsung VGA monitor, and an LG TV (vga connector), all of which work with other equipment. 

The hdmi to hdmi connection works just fine.

i have spent hours and am very frustrated. 

Any hints or help is  greatly appreciated.

I'm about to go to the dark side (Apple). Please don't let me do it! Everything works so much easier (but with less flexibility and sooo much more money).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey@Jsreidnyc,

Thanks for the response.

Have you tried a different adapter cable for VGA to Display port?

Have you checked the Adapter you have on a different PC to check if that gains any video signal?

It seems to be a hardware issue where in the Display port to VGA adapter might be malfunctioning.

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Jsreidnyc

Thanks for the post and Welcome to HP Forums. 

I see you are not getting any display using the miniDisplay port to VGA adapter. Kudos to you for checking the monitor with other computers. 

Have you tried to install the display driver directly from the graphics card manufacturer's website? 

Recommend you to check with miniDisplay port to VGA adapter for any additional driver that might be needed for the adapter to work. 

The display ports on the computer are plug and play, that means if you connect a monitor that has a miniDisplay port directly or HDMI, the monitor should be directly detected.

Open device manager and check under monitors and also look for unknown devices. If you find any unknown devices, right-click on it and check for drivers.

If the device is not listed under monitors in the device manager. That means that adapter is not working or might require an additional driver. 

Recommend you to check the miniDisplay to VGA adapter manufacturer for any driver and also check for its compatibility with Windows 10. 

Also, perform a Windows update with the adapter connected to check if Microsoft can detect the adapter and install the required driver automatically. 

You can refer to this article for using additional displays, Microsoft forums post (tough the article is titled Surface pro, the procedure is the same for other notebooks) and 

Let me know how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response. 

Ive done the items below, but still am not able to connect my VGA monitors to the Mini DisplayPort connection.

i checked the driver, none showed as needing updates, or unknown errors (no yellow triangles with <!>).  In fact, the website cable says that no drivers are needed or supplied.

i tried booting with everything connected to see if that would flag something, but there was no change.

in device manager, it shows just one monitor, pnp generic monitor, with no update needed. I was hoping at least it would show an asterisk next to a unknown monitor, but no.

I went to system updates, and it allowed me to update a LAN update and to re-update the intel 5500 graphics from the rollback. I did both these updates with the Mini DisplayPort cable plugged in to the laptop and a monitor. Still no display, no change she in notifications, and no 'detected display' message when run.

i rebooted several times, hoping it would take, to no avail.

any other ideas?  The laptop exhibits no signs of trouble or damage, it is relatively new and hardly used. 

Jeff

HP Recommended

Hey@Jsreidnyc,

Thanks for the response.

Have you tried a different adapter cable for VGA to Display port?

Have you checked the Adapter you have on a different PC to check if that gains any video signal?

It seems to be a hardware issue where in the Display port to VGA adapter might be malfunctioning.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. Such a simple solution. It was a faulty cable. I replaced it and all is well. Thank you all for your quick replies.

jeff

HP Recommended

Hey@Jsreidnyc,

Thanks for the response.

Glad to hear that the issue got resolved. You can reach HP Support Forums any time for any issues related to your HP Product

Happy posting a great day ahead.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.