Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook Studio G5 Draemcolor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I wanted to give my workstation more GPU power by using a GTX1070 in a Razer Core X plugged in to one of the two TB3 ports of the machine. I use the machine typically in discrete graphics mode (in BIOS) so as to be able to use the pre-calibrated profiles in the DreamColor assistant.

However, I have not been able to use the eGPU in discrete graphics (windows will freeze, and/or would not boot into Windows) -first stupidly I erased the machine to try again but got the same problem. only then I tought of changing the graphics mode in Bios.

is this requirement of using hybrid graphics mode normal? intended?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Dan.

Lately I am thinking about purchasing an eGPU for my zbook G5 x360 as well. Have you been able to solve your problem?

Are you using Quadro, Geforce or Geforce Studio drivers? Regards, Helge

HP Recommended

Hi helge,

To be honest, I sold the machine shortly after I posted this, but mostly because it was just too much as I already have a decent desktop (threadripper 1950x, Vega Frontier), so I put the money instead to buy a decent monitor.

I did ask HP support phone line and they confirmed the eGPU will only work if you select hybrid graphics. when I did, the eGPU worked fine. I use GeForce drivers (Quadro GPUs too expensive for me). to me it made sense, as with dedicated only, the laptop is not ready to switch GPUs (not with the integrated GPU Intel HD, nor with any external GPU). The disadvantage is that you lose the ability to switch color spaces on the fly, as the dreamcolor assist will not work only you use dedicated graphics only.

is your machine dreamcolor too?

HP Recommended

Hi Dan, thank you for your answer.

Yes my G5 x360 has a dreamcolor display too. It has an internal Quadro P1000 graphic card. I assume your G5 did as well? Did you use the Geforce drivers for the internal quadro or did you change to Quadro drivers on the go?

Best regards, Helge

HP Recommended

Yes my G5 had the P1000 too (that somehow I felt it a bit weaker than the M1200 I had use before; maybe it was my imagination).

Basically, if you plug in a GeForce card, go to Nvidia and manually select the drivers and you downloaded them and install them . They will co-exist with the P1000 Quadro drivers. I think in a few instances, the machine will self-install some older GeForce drivers but will take like 10 minutes. Better to install the latest manually the latest (I think I downloaded the "Studio" version of the GeForce drivers). you will almost surely, have to reboot.

To give you another reference, right now I have a zenbook pro and a razer blade, both with GTX, and I have an AMD 5700XT in a Razer Core X. I use the same procedure and AMD and Nvidia drivers can co-exist too.

can I ask if you plan to use the internal display only or an external monitor connected to the eGPU?

the first time you plug the eGPU, the thunderbolt3 controller will ask you for permisssion, you can select "always allow". I think you can remove the permission requirement in the Bios.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.