Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP E23 G4 FHD Monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to use my monitor as a dock, ie have my keyboard and mouse connect to the monitor, and have one cable connect from the monitor to the laptop.  The monitor (HP e23 G4 FHD) was supplied with a USB A-to-B cable which seems to allow the keyboard and mouse (connected to the monitor) to work on the laptop, but the screen display doesn't seem to be coming through to the monitor, and the monitor menu only has options for HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort.  I know the screen works, because when I plug in via a separate HDMI, the display will show up correctly.  But I don't want to plug more things in, I just want to plug in one cable.  So, is this possible?  Am I just missing something simple?  Or do I need to have two cables plugged in (the USB A-to-B, and a separate one for the Display)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RachelTurton 

You need at least 2 cables

• Cable1 . video cable: VGA or  HDMI 1.4 or1 DisplayPort™ 1.2  for video
  • Cable2. USB upstream cable to allow you to connect to other devices such as keyboard, mouse or flask drive ...

W/o cable 1, you won't get display.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@RachelTurton 

You need at least 2 cables

• Cable1 . video cable: VGA or  HDMI 1.4 or1 DisplayPort™ 1.2  for video
  • Cable2. USB upstream cable to allow you to connect to other devices such as keyboard, mouse or flask drive ...

W/o cable 1, you won't get display.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.