Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I purchased the Pavilion G6-1118TX from HP some days back. Same problem. It just DOSENT user the Radeon GPU. Tried everything, even updated the BIOS - theres no option for switching to fixed switchable graphics in it.

Its the first time I bought an HP product, NEVER gonna buy from HP again. Sucks.

HP Recommended

Hi!!! I found the solution for this!!!!

Go into the BIOS menu (press ESC and then F10 the moment you turn on your computer, before the windows logo appears), search for the switchable graphics option and set it to "Fixed". Exit and save changes.

When windows is already initiated, right-click anywhere and click switchable graphics. Choose the ATI Radeon (high performance) as default et voilà!

I hope it works for you, as i has worked for me.

HP Recommended

@Eightenten: what you're saying works only for SOME models for which HP has released the required "Graphics mode configurer" BIOS upgrade. Dosent work on most models. Dosent work on my G6-1118TX as there is no BIOS upgrade for us.

HP Recommended

Hello,

GamerXX, you say that ATI video card is selected but the system does not switch the cards?

I assume you have Windows 7 64-bit. Please download this: ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.18-64bit.zip and post what video card is listed there.

Best regards,

Andrew

HP Recommended

i've use the hardware monitor, and the graphic shown as below:

Display Adapters -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter 0 

Display name  \\.\DISPLAY1  

Name   Intel(R) HD Graphics Family  

GPU ref clock  27000  

PCI device  bus 0 (0x0), device 2 (0x2), function 0 (0x0)  

Vendor ID  0x8086 (0x103C)  

Model ID  0x0116 (0x166E)

Display adapter 1 

GPU ref clock  27000  

PCI device  bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)  

Vendor ID  0x1002 (0x103C)  

Model ID  0x6760 (0x166E)

HP Recommended

Same problem 🙂 There is no switchable graphics mode in boot options

From hardware program

Display Adapters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter 0
Display name \\.\DISPLAY1
Name Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
GPU ref clock 27000
PCI device bus 0 (0x0), device 2 (0x2), function 0 (0x0)
Vendor ID 0x8086 (0x103C)
Model ID 0x0116 (0x1670)

Display adapter 1
GPU ref clock 27000
PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
Vendor ID 0x1002 (0x103C)
Model ID 0x6760 (0x1670)

HP Recommended

this unofficial update might help you out

http://drivers.leshcatlabs.org/2012/04/06/catalyst-12-3-whql-unifl-for-switchable-graphics/

even if the detected graphic card still the "Intel HD" but the performance are far more better.

i've this, and i enjoy playing elder scroll 5: skyrim

good luck dude. :generic:

HP Recommended

You should upload bios version with hp drivers update . Then you can turn fixed mode on and permanently disable intel card. But still you can not use drivers from ATI or Tray tool . This is my problem with switchable graphics as i could not turn off vsync in both cards. switchable graphics must be done with nvidya rather than ATI or HP should edit drivers accordingly .. this is really shity

HP Recommended
Wow, more complaints. Lets say I respond to every "Fix our bios thread" And they should fill 2 pages of the most recent posts.

So OP, welcome to the world of third rate laptops without support, Enjoy!
HP Recommended

This is unbelievable. I have the exact same problem with a really troublesome and obscure pavilion g6 2305sq and I cannot choose between the two, as in game it only uses intel hd. When I bought it they told me that all I needed to do was search for drivers on the official HP site and it's all well. I couldn't even find those, there were only drivers for Windows 8. Later on I found a thread which led me to an older model that seemed to have the same specifications. That worked partially. I eventually installed the amd driver from their oficial site (not the HP adapted one) and it works but I still cannot switch between the two, as the automatic switch doesn't work. Well, no wonder Lenovo took over, really. HP laptops have been worse than Acer, let alone Asus.

I should also say that I called HP and they said that they couldn't help me, because I needed to have Windows 8 (Standard edition) installed. If I installed Windows 8 Pro, it wouldn't work!! Only with the standard edition could I receive their support. Can you believe the hypocrisy? Almost all Vista drivers are compatible with all versions of Windows 7, and they're telling me that there's a fundamental difference between various types of WIndows 8 when it comes to drivers and that they cannot help me if I have Windows 8 Professional - which I actually had installed and didn't work either - it said that the computer didn't meet the minimum requirements!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.