Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 e020dx Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I've just seen a thread about someone asking about BIOS whitelist which, as far as I know, does exist, but is not public. In that thread, they said their laptop was "too new" to be affected by the whitelist "issues". Then in parentheses said "(2013)". Based on my research, I found that my laptop was released sometime in 2014 which theoretically would mean no whitelist, except I am not sure. I've already replaced my WiFi from some Realtek card that only supported 2.4ghz to an Qualcomm Atheros 9462 which is dual band with bluetooth but only supported abgn but no ac. 

So my question would be,

is it possible to check IF there's even a whitelist or blacklist?

Is there some list of upgrades of HP parts, even though those tends to be much more expensive

Also, can I have a manual for my laptop model? I can probably find it but in case I don't please attach one if possible.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey @Paul_Tikkanen, idk if this tag will work, but I'm going to try and get your attention. I noticed on this thread (Solved: Wi-fi card upgrade on HP Pavilion 17. BIOS White list and ot... - HP Support Community - 731...) the user who started the thread said they had an HP Pavilion 17 laptop. No specific model by mine is e020dx, and I noticed you said "There is no BIOS whitelist in your notebook, but Intel cards won't work in notebooks with AMD processors in a lot of situations." so would it be correct of me to assume that this also applied to my laptop and that if I get a mPCIE wifi card, it'll work without issues such as the card is blocked or not allowed due to issues like whitelists? 

HP Recommended

Hello

HP Pavilion 17-e020dx Notebook PC Product Specifications

you will find some answers, most certainly with the manual!

HP Pavilion 17 TouchSmart Notebook PC HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Otherwise, we do not have this type of document available, the best would be to ask HP directly!
try the different contact possibilities

Contact HP

https://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/customerservice

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

You've already made a hardware upgrade to the WiFi NIC in your laptop - was that an HP part or not?

If not, and the upgrade is successful, then that should illustrate if there is a hard whitelist / blacklist or not.

That said, OEM laptop BIOS can be notoriously picky about hardware upgrades.

For example, we once had a Dell XPS unit that was bricked by an engineer during a display panel replacement, because the panel OEM had changed during the laptop lifecycle and it needed a BIOS update to resolve.

HP are not going to be able to support laptop hardware upgrades for non-HP parts, so you will be in 'DIY' territory.

If the concern is the cost of genuine HP parts, then you can of course look for a refurbished unit of the 'approved' part on eBay etc. Alternatively, for WiFi specifically you could consider a nano-sized USB adaptor.

In all circumstances, I would suggest ensuring that your laptop is fully up-to-date with all drivers and firmware/BIOS from HP before any hardware upgrades.

Forever Group - HP Partner & Microsoft Partner
HP Recommended

Well, I replaced the wificard that came with an Qualcomm Atheros AR9462, part 676786-001, and as far as I'm aware, this card wasn't listed as an upgrade possibility on the HP manual for my laptop, but me not knowing anything about this possible whitelist decided to buy it, not knowing it's even an HP part and plugged it in, and it worked. 

HP Recommended

Ok I understand you might not be able to provide support or suggestions for parts other than HP parts but as you said in this thread, Solved: Wi-fi card upgrade on HP Pavilion 17. BIOS White list and ot... - HP Support Community - 731..., Specifically, "There is no BIOS whitelist in your notebook" regarding this product:

"Product name HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC 
Product number F0G16EA#ACB

BIOS F.35"

How did you know? As far as I'm aware, the bios version is the same, whether or not HP uses the same BIOS for the same lineups, that I have no clue on. You knew that there wasn't a BIOS whitelist on that specific laptop. 

HP Recommended

Ok got it.

With regards to this forum page: "Solved: Re: Bios whitelist for wifi card - HP Support Community - 7824636" and your answer

"Most notebooks with AMD processors made after 2013 do not have BIOS whitelists with a few exceptions."

Do you happen to know the "few exceptions"?

HP Recommended

Ok, if you do happen to find that list, please do reply with it. 
Also, something I've noticed, as long as the HP part number is correct, it doesn't matter the name of the adapter right? Because I see this listing: 

HP AzureWave AW-CE123H BCM94352HMB, SPS#724935-001" but the one you mentioned is "Broadcom BCM4352 , 724935-001". They both have the same part number but different names? Does that matter?

HP Recommended

So just for confimation, it's the HP part number that matters rather than the name of the card?

I know that the card I replaced had an HP Part number just not one that was listed in my laptop's manual

HP Recommended

Another listing I saw is this one: Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802.11ac WIFI 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.0 Combo mini Card | eBay, there's no HP part number but it is an AzureWave BCM94352 card based on the images, but no HP part, would this be a "safe" buy?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.