Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g4-1305au Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I can't my notebook to android hotspot, it's showing the WiFi connection but when I try to connect it, connection fails and shows limited access, internet doesn't work.
Tried USB tethering too but that too isn't working.
Updated my wireless driver(Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter) but still no improvement.
What else can I do to resolve the issue ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Finally! After rummaging through a boatload of google searches, I fixed it.

Just go to the start button type 'cmd' and run the command prompt as administrator then,

run the following two commands one by one --

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice

net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

Restart your laptop/PC it's done!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

Before continuing, it's always best to test other laptops with your hotspot to make sure it's not the phone causing the issue.

I also recommend using HP Support Assistant to check for and install any updates especially the one regarding the BIOS.

Cheers

HP Recommended
Hi @AlexandruN , Thanks a lot for your answer!

Yeah I've checked my android hotspot with other PCs and it works fine.
Also I visited HP support assistant and you were right, there was an update available for BIOS and I've installed it but still no luck...!

So what should I do now?
HP Recommended

Hello again,

If you're able to connect but it gives you limited access, I assume this means the Wi-Fi icon has a yellow triangle next to it.

If that is the case, try right-click and select network troubleshooting to give you a hint as to what the issue might be.

Assuming the troubleshooter finds an invalid IP address, try the following 2 commands in command prompt:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

If you are able to tinker with the security settings for your hotspot, I could also suggest trying to change the security type or remove the password temporarily.

Cheers

HP Recommended
Thanks Again for taking the trouble to answer!

No, My WiFi icon shows a 'yellow star' not a triangle and troubleshooter detects that the Diagnostics policy service is not running.

Any ideas what to do?

HP Recommended
Finally! After rummaging through a boatload of google searches, I fixed it.

Just go to the start button type 'cmd' and run the command prompt as administrator then,

run the following two commands one by one --

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice

net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

Restart your laptop/PC it's done!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.