Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP notebook - 15-ba026nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't find anywhere if my laptop is 5Ghz (WiFi) compatible or not. I question this because I wonder why my laptop can't find my 5Ghz network. (Or at least, it's not in my WiFi list). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs page for your notebook.  It only has a wireless card that works on the 2.4 GHz frequency.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ba000-notebook-pc-series/10862317/model/13190938/document...

Any time you see a wireless N network adapter specification that ends in b/g/n, that means it is a single band (2.4 GHz) card.

Dual band wifi N cards have suffixes that end in a/b/g/n, or a/g/n.  The 'a' designates they work on the 5.0 GHz wireless band.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs page for your notebook.  It only has a wireless card that works on the 2.4 GHz frequency.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ba000-notebook-pc-series/10862317/model/13190938/document...

Any time you see a wireless N network adapter specification that ends in b/g/n, that means it is a single band (2.4 GHz) card.

Dual band wifi N cards have suffixes that end in a/b/g/n, or a/g/n.  The 'a' designates they work on the 5.0 GHz wireless band.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

Hmm... ok, that explains. How could I know? How could any no-no know? Would have been easier when it just said 2,4Ghz or 5Ghz in the specs 😉 But, thanks anyway. I feel helped 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Now you know how to tell the difference the next time you are looking for a dual band wireless N device.

HP Recommended

Is it possible to have a new wifi card installed, so that I can connect to the 5Ghz?  It would really be of help.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Probably not.

Most of the new notebooks with single band wireless cards, only come with one antenna, and you need two antennas for a dual band card to work.

If you look at the service manual for your notebook, it is very difficult to even get to where the wireless card is located, let alone having to completely disassemble the notebook including the display panel area, in order to run a 2nd antenna.

One forum member did all that and still could not get a dual band wlan card to work in a similarly equipped model.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external usb dual band wireless adapter.

I understand they are making them pretty small nowadays.

HP Recommended
Thanks for such a quick response. Guess I will look for the external antenna
HP Recommended

I had the same issue/problem with a HP laptop I recently purchased, Model BY0021DX, a 17 inch laptop to replace an 8-year old laptop I had.  Since the old laptop could receive both 2.4 and 5GHz signals, and the newer laptop was faster, I assumed it surely would be able to receive both signals as well.  In fact, I didn't even give it a thought.  At the same time as purchasing the new laptop, I signed up for a TV/internet/telephone package offer.  It was in the modem/router/network installation that I discovered that even though the device was dual-band, the laptop would only display the 2.4GHz network.  I was getting much faster download speed with a cable attached, but a lot less just on wi-fi.  I had 3 phone calls to the provider for support but there was never any question of if my laptop was 5GHz capable.  It was only after a lot of research I discovered much to my surprise my brand new laptop (compared to my 8-year old laptop) does not have the ability to use the 5GHz band.  I am relieved to know the WHY behind the problem now.  Before it was a mystery and all based on my faulty assumption.  Mind you, I wasn't experiencing any problems with the download speed of the 2.4GHz, it was that I didn't know why my laptop was not able to use the 5GHz band.  I have checked for an external 5GHz adaptor and see they are not too expensive, but I will say if your laptop/PC has the newer 3.0 USB receptable to look for a 5GHz adaptor that uses that as well (another detail)  - supposed to be up to 10 times faster than the older USB designations.  Oh, and in my research, I see there are even more faster and newer GHz bands being developed.  Once we get to the speed of light ability, maybe the ever changing technology will settle down for a few years.

HP Recommended

I had the EXACT same issue.  I couldn't believe I couldn't get our 5G wi-fi!  I got an adapter off Amazon and to my dismay I'm still only getting a 30mbps download speed, while my iPhone sitting right next to it is getting 125mbps.

Beyond frustrated!

If anyone knows of a decent USB adapter, please let me know!  The one I have is the EDUP with an antenna.  I was getting 90 at first then that one died within warranty period.  This is my 2nd one and it's obviously not working as well.

HP Recommended

Which Dual Band Wireless used in my laptop?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.