Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Spectre X360 that I bought in 2016.  Its been an awesome PC except for a glitch it picked up about two years ago.

When I got the PC I was pleased to learn that I could connect wirelessly to a remote monitor or TV - in fact it worked great with my Roku 3.  Things went well for about two years, then all of a sudden it no longer found the ROKU or the TV; instead, I it said the device didn't support Miracast and so couldn't connect wirelessly.

After some research I rolled the network driver (Intel 8265) and it worked again.  Since then the problem has been, I have to do this every time Microsoft decides to send an upgrade (I just finished rolling it back for the umpteenth time).  So, I have some questions:

1) Howcum HP can't supply Microsoft the correct driver?  Why do I have to keep rolling it back?

2) Is there any way to keep the driver from being changed? (I am running Win 10 Pro).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@pscarbor Greetings from the HP Community!

You can disable the windows updates until you know there a driver available that supports the device and the miracast,

that said, usually Microsoft does release a patch of fixes in the next cumulative updates if this has issues, so I suggest you wait for the next set of updates, meanwhile, you could disable updates as a workaround rather than rolling back the drivers each time you install the update:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

invoke run box and type services.msc

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

find windows update and double-click it

4. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your fast response.

I don't think the next set of patches from Microsoft will be any different, since this has been going on for two years now.  I tried disabling updates, but reenabled them after a few weeks - I don't want to miss any security updates, and so don't want to turn everything off.

Is there any way to prevent only this particular driver from being changed?  Apparently Microsoft is very much determined to change the driver regardless!

Thanks again for your response.

HP Recommended

@pscarbor In that case, you may need to identify which windows update is causing this issue and resolve it using the steps mentioned here,

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your response.

So, I now have updates disabled - but I CONTINUE TO GET UPDATES.  Apparently (?) they are coming from HP, not Microsoft (no way to tell).  Anyway, I still have to roll back the network adapter driver.

Could it be that HP doesn't know the correct driver for this chip?  Maybe that's why all the other Users asking abut Miracast can't get it to work?  I can again cast remotely to my Roku, although I'll probably get a partially working driver in a week or two and have to repeat the process again.

Is there any way to stop this nonsense?  Any way to protect the driver so it doesn't get changed?

HP Recommended

@pscarbor You could uninstall the HP support assistant, to ensure it doesn't install the update automatically, and check if the issue persists,

Also, if nothing works, I suggest you create a new user account and check if that helps.

Keep me posted

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks - to quote Sheldon Cooper, "I didn't think of that!"  I uninstalled it, I'll let you know if it hiccups again.

HP Recommended

@pscarbor Bazzinga! 😉

Let me know how that pans out.
Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.