Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ek0503na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I got my Omen 15 two days ago. At first start-up everything worked fine. Then the next day I when I started up the laptop, it would connect to the wifi, but I couldn't actually access the internet. I noticed there were some Windows and Intel updates that had failed, so I connected to the Ethernet cable and let the updates install. There was also a BIOS update while those updates happened. The connection issues got worse after the updates. Even with the Ethernet cable my connection was very slow, so I thought it might be an issue with my internet or router, but i reset the router and my other connected devices aren't having any issues. I try to connect to the wifi, it will be connected for a few seconds, but then it disconnects. When I run the Network Troubleshooter it always says 'Default gateway not available' and it resets my network adaptor which fixes the issue. It then lets me load maybe one page and disconnects again.

I've looked at a lot of help pages, so I've tried a lot of things, but nothing has worked:

- Uninstall wifi adapter driver, restart and let the system reinstall the driver

- Uninstall the driver, download the driver from Intel and reinstall it myself

- Uninstall McAfee 

- Change the Power Saver settings

- Reset the TCP/IP settings

- Manually input the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway

If there is anything else I can do, or anything I can try to do again, in case I didn't do it right, please let me know. I'm not at all an expert so I'm always worried about doing something wrong. Should I send it in to have the adapter looked at? Any help would be much appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Update: So I decided to do a full reset this morning. Everything seemed to work fine for a few hours. Then I lost connection when I was downloading a large file. Troubleshooted it, fixed it for another few hours. Now it's back to disconnecting every 5 seconds. Is it worth doing everything I tried before again??

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! 

HP Recommended

@kyper 

here's what you need to do:

1. Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2. Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices are using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3. Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4. Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

That said, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS.

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I tried what you suggested, sitting next to my router didn't help. I tried changing the channels on my router, but it didn't stay connected to the internet for long enough to actually try more than one channel. I just changed it from Auto to 6 and then lost connection again.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@kyper If you've followed all the steps suggested, the ones in the link as well and yet the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.