Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb013ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP Support Community,

in the near future I want to upgrade my M.2 NVME drive on my HP Pavilion Power 15-cb013ng laptop and since I will open up the laptop anyway I was thinking about an upgrade for the WLAN / Bluetooth card.

The procedure doesn't look that difficult but, I read that in some cases there might be a whitelist in the BIOS that could prevent other cards from working properly. 

My question is therefore if the HP Pavilion 15-cb0XXX family has a BIOS whitelist that could prevent me from upgrading the WLAN / Bluetooth card?

I would really appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, no one here would be able to give you that information since HP does not release what model notebooks have BIOS whitelists or do not.

Generally, most HP notebooks made in 2014 or later do not have BIOS whitelists.

The only way we know what model Wi-Fi card works or not is from reports by other forum members who report whether or not a Wi-Fi card not listed in the service manual worked.

I cannot find any posts on this forum where someone upgraded the Intel Wi-Fi card to a better model.

Probably because most folks were satisfied with the max 867 MBPS throughput the Wi-Fi card provides.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to experiment with this model card and see what happens.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005

You can find the above model card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, no one here would be able to give you that information since HP does not release what model notebooks have BIOS whitelists or do not.

Generally, most HP notebooks made in 2014 or later do not have BIOS whitelists.

The only way we know what model Wi-Fi card works or not is from reports by other forum members who report whether or not a Wi-Fi card not listed in the service manual worked.

I cannot find any posts on this forum where someone upgraded the Intel Wi-Fi card to a better model.

Probably because most folks were satisfied with the max 867 MBPS throughput the Wi-Fi card provides.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to experiment with this model card and see what happens.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005

You can find the above model card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed answer @Paul_Tikkanen.

I bought the laptop around 2017 so the odds that the laptop doesn't have a whitelist should be promising.

Is there a specific reason why you chose the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200?

I was looking at the Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 M.2 non vPro card.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

That card probably also has a good chance of working since you will buy the non-vPro version. 

The AX200 non-vPro is versatile card that works in both Intel and AMD platforms, which is why I usually recommend that model and part number. 

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen,

I wanted to inform you that I successfully changed my card to a AX210 non-vPro.

Before I changed the card, I installed the newest drivers with the Intel Driver Support Assistant.

The WLAN worked fine directly after the card change, but the Bluetooth had some issues.

After a freshly installing Windows 10 and its updates, everything works fine now! 

Therefore, my conclusion is that the HP Pavilion Power 15-cb0XXX family has no BIOS whitelist.

I hope this information can help out other community members.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is great news!

Thanks for letting us know the Intel AX210 works fine in the HP 15-cb0xx model series.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.