Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Several months ago I purchased the HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13m-ag0xxx.  This is the AMD model with the Ryzen 2700U processor.  Since day one I've had nothing but trouble with the power management on this machine.

Initially the machine would not resume properly from sleep mode.  I would get nothing but a black screen.  The only remedy for this was to perform a hard reset.  I contacted HP support several times and their only recommendation was to do a factory restore of the OS.  Even after performing the factory reset the issue still persisted.  

The latest BIOS update for this machine (F.21) has finally resolved the sleep/wake issue but has introduced a new problem.  When resuming from sleep, the Intel AC 7265 Wifi adapter is powered off and Windows does not recognize it.  A restart of the machine does not fix the issue.  The only way to resolve it is to perfrom a shut down and then boot the machine again.

This model was released over 8 months ago and I don't understand why I'm should still be struggling with these basic functions.  Much like the sleep issue, no combination of drivers and power settings will resolve the Wifi problem.  I suspect this is yet another BIOS related power management issue that needs to be addressed in an update.   I'm trying to be patient with this machine but at this point I'm quite frustrated.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mrcerwin

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I understand your concerns and frustration

Please try these steps

- Go to Device Manager and under Network Adapters look for the Wireless driver

- Right click the Wireless driver and go to Properties

- Go to Power Management Tab Uncheck the Box that says Allow the computer to turn off this device

If the issue persists, please update the wireless driver from Device Manager, Right click the wireless driver and select update and then ensure the Box is unchecked

Let me know how this goes

Thank you and have a lovely day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am facing the same issues as the OP. After bios upgrade and a clean install, even my wake up from sleep issue seems to be resolved. But the issue with the wifi adapter remains.

I followed the steps given above and it has solved my problem in 90% of the  scenarios. But the wifi adpater still vanishes if i let the laptop sleep overnight. I have disabled hibernation, but still the issue persists if the laptop resumes after about 8-10 hours of sleep. 

HP Recommended

I've implemented these steps and unfortunately it has not resolved the issue. 

I agree with @stablegenius that the issue only seems to occur when the notebook has been asleep for a longer period of time.  If I resume from sleep within 15-20 minutes, the WiFi Adapter is typically functional.  Any longer than that, the system reports that it is powered off and requires a shutdown and clean boot to resolve.  It seems that the system enters a deeper sleep mode afer a set interval.  I still believe that this is a BIOS related issue with power management to the M.2 PCIe slot.   

HP Recommended

KrazyToad, Could you tell if there is a fix coming for this issue? I am still within the return period of this laptop and if HP is not aware of this issue, I would return and get another model. 

HP Recommended

@stablegenius

Thanks for keeping me posted

I understand your concerns and frustration

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just wanted to provide an update on my original post. 

The PM I received regarding the issue described in this thread went nowhere and resulted in the suggestion that I contact HP Support directly.  I've already contacted them several times prior to posting here and they fail to resolve the issue while continually trying to upsell me on their "SmartFriend" service for a subscription fee.  I'm extermely disappointed in the support for this product.  

Today a new BIOS update was released for this model (F.31).  I applied the update in the hope that the power managment issues on this machine would finally be resolved.  They were not.  In fact the issue has gotten worse.  This latest update has reverted the fix in the previous BIOS release and now this machine will no longer wake from sleep... again...  

@stablegenius if you are still able to return this notebook I strongly suggest you do so.  In fact, I'd strongly advise anyone considering this machine to choose something from a different vendor and save yourself some frustration.  

HP Recommended

@mercerwin, Thank you for the note. I tried the bios update and can confirm that the sleep problem has returned again. This is very disappointing. Looks like even basic tests are not done before shipping bios upgrades.

I packed mine and dropped it at UPS. I badly wanted this laptop to work because I liked the form factor and performance. Not sure what would be a good replacement at this price point. 

HP Recommended

An update to my below post..  I was able to contact tech support again who took control of my computer remotely and did some updates to the bios, the wifi adapter and bluetooth adapter (these updates were not on the HP site)  This tech definitely knew what was going on and it appears he has resolved my issues.  

I'm having the same exact problem.  Tech support has remotely tried to make changes to my computer but that did not resolve the issue.  I think I will also return this laptop 😞

HP Recommended

@G550driver

Welcome to HP support community.

I understand your concern, and I wish to contribute towards resolving this issue once and for all, to do that, I request you to elaborate on your concern, is it exactly the same as the original poster? if yes, did you perform all the steps suggested by the various community members and if no, could you elaborate further so I know exactly what you need.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution:

Click here for steps on finding the information we need! http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824  

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Get back to us with the details and I'll help you out.
Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.