Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-f053us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is the link to support on my laptop: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-17-f000-notebook-pc-series/6936220/model/7242209/tr...

Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit

The ethernet port does not work. LED lights are always on but the cord is not detected. When looking at network adapters, the wifi adapter is the only one shown, not the ethernet or anything else. I tried installing the Realtek Ethernet Controller driver but once the installation is complete, it shows "Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver: The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug Cable." I researched this issue and kept the power cord and ethernet cable plugged in during each process. The BIOS is now up to date. Cannot find a solution anywhere. Please help.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@mjw418

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the wired internet connection isn't working,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you run the Network troubleshooter to identify the issue?

Have you checked the device manager to see if the wired/network card is detected?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

The Windows 10 Network and Internet Troubleshooter tests the network for problems and automatically repairs the network connections if applicable. Use this tool to test and repair the connection.

1. Type view network status in the search box on the taskbar, then select View network status and tasks from the search results.

2. Click Troubleshoot problems.

3. Click the item that matches the problem you are experiencing.

• Internet Connections: Trouble connecting to the Internet.

• Shared Folders: Trouble accessing files and folders on other computers on the network.

• HomeGroup: Trouble viewing computers or files in a HomeGroup.

• Network Adapter: Check to see if the network adapter is having problems.

• Incoming Connections: Trouble accessing this computer from another computer on the network.

4. Click Next, then follow the instructions to check for problems.

If the issue persists: (continue troubleshooting from Step 6 onwards)

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have literally tried everything other than system restore or recovery. I would have been surprised if you came up with a new solution to the problem. The network troubleshooter was the first thing I did. As I said before, the ethernet adapter does not show, therefore the computer does not know to check for problems with the adapter. What I forgot to say was that in Device Manager, only the wifi driver is there. No ethernet or network controller. The computer has no idea what it is missing. Wifi works great. Other wired connections to a desktop and another laptop work perfectly as well. This is my grandpa's laptop and he said that the wired connection has not worked since he bought it. He assumed that there was an issue with his network so he did nothing about it.  I assume that a system restore would have no effect since the ethernet port did not work in the first place. I could, but would rather not, use HP system recovery. I know that Windows 8 was the original OS and there could have been a malfuction with the update. Really, I was hoping you could provide me with a link to install the Realtek Network Controller driver since I received an error stating that it was not found. If you have any other advice, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, thanks for the effort.

HP Recommended

@mjw418

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand this could be frustrating, however, the only reason I put in a link and referred you to step 6 was so that you could install the network drivers just as you've requested, that said, here's what step 6 of the link I shared looks like:

Network problems might be caused by outdated network drivers. Using a computer that has Internet access, check the HP Customer Support page for network drivers for your product. If one is available, download and install the latest update for the network hardware that you use. Use the following steps to download and install the latest driver for your hardware.

1. Go to the HP Customer Support web page.

2. If you are presented with a page to enter your product number, enter the number (for example, Pavilion p6230f or TouchSmart 600-1050uk). Then, click the product name from the search results

3. Click Software and Drivers.

4. In the Go directly to the software and driver results box, click Go.

5. Select your operating system, then select the Driver-Network category.

6. Select the network or modem driver update (for example, Realtek RTL8139 LAN Driver Update).

7. Follow the instruction on the download page to download and install the update.

8. When done, restart the computer and connect to the Internet again.

Also, if the issue persists, you could perform a hardware test on the network card to identify the hardware failure, granted if the hardware diagnostics doesn't recognise that there's a network card in your PC, you would simply need to Contact HP to set up a hardware repair/replacement service order:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1)     The network driver: As I said, I have already tried everything. Before I posted, I had already gone to Software and Drivers (there were only 2 to choose from, the LAN and WLAN) and attempted to install the Realtek LAN Driver (the WLAN driver is installed and working). At this point I reached an error that said "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug Cable." I was unable to get any further. This driver never appeared in Device Manager. Do you know what the "Realtek Network Controller" is and if I can download it?

2)      The network card: What is the network card and is there a driver for it? If so, that could be what I am missing. Otherwise, is the hardware test the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI or something else? I'll get the UEFI test started to see if I get results and I'll let you know.

3)     Tech Support: The warranty expired and it is not worth the money. He would rather get a new computer than pay and wait to try and fix the issue.

HP Recommended

For $16 US, plus taxes, see: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Ethernet-Adapter-Supports-Chromebook/dp/B01HH36F74/ref=sr_1_2?

for a USB device that supplies an Ethernet connection.

Much less expensive than taking the computer to a technician to pay for trouble-shooting.

HP Recommended

Or, enter BIOS SETUP and see if the Ethernet adapter is "disabled".  If so, "enable" it.

HP Recommended

Did you approve the Thunderbolt device (Dock) otherwise not ethernet connection.

HP Recommended

Product name:Probook 6475b serial [edited]

Wifi is ok but ethernet line is dead your assistance please

HP Recommended

Check your bios if possible update to latest version, mine was ( ProBook 440 G2 ) 01.05 previously after flash to latest 01.51 Rev.A it can detect the Realtek adapters. works like normal already. Hope this helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.