Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My HP Envy m6 laptop cannot connect to our wifi connection and only connects using the cable connection, ethernet.

It was still fine when I downloaded windows 8.1 but all of a sudden displays limited/no connectivity. I tried everything I can including resetting tcp ip settings thru command prompt, finding other drivers till someone suggested me to put my laptop back to windows 8. Still didn't fix the problem. Now, my laptop does not access wifi nor detect any wireless connection whether our home wifi, or others.

Please do help me. I really need to fix this. I'm a student and I badly need wifi connection since its the only available connection in our school. I am not knowledgable about this issue and it would be really great if someone could help.

Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try "Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter":

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57501-58000/sp57538.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check Network adapters under Device manager, can you see any yellow ?.

(a) If yes, post back its hardware id. The following link shows you how:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

(b) If no, please uninstall the Wireless driver and reboot the machine (keep wired connection), wait for 10 mins.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for the response!

It does have a yellow '?'.

And this is the Hardware ID.

Incase the picture's quality is poor. This is the hardware ID.

Ralink RT5390r 802.11bgn Wifi Adapter

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_539B&SUBSYS_18ED103C&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_539B&SUBSYS_18ED103C

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_539B&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_539B&CC_0280

Thank you! Regards. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try "Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter":

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57501-58000/sp57538.exe

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi!

I installed what you suggested, and restarted my PC. I'm shocked that my laptop now connects to our home wifi. However, I'm still in doubt because when I tried other solutions that I searched on the internet(before I did your suggestion), my laptop has a habit of being able to connect now, then I shut it down. After a few hours and I turned it on, it shows the same problem. Which leads to me to connecting my pc to the cable/ethernet again.

Any suggestions when this happens again?

I'm going to observe my pc, hoping that my problem is solved permanently.

I hope you don't mind me asking you incase I encounter this again. 🙂

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT HELP! KUDOS! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having a similar issue with the update to Windows 10 messing up my wifi.

The network adapter is a Ralink RT3290 in an

HP ENVY TouchSmart m6-k012dx Sleekbook

Here is my hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3290&SUBSYS_18EC103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3290&SUBSYS_18EC103C
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3290&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3290&CC_0280

Please help! I have been working on this for a week now and I need the computer for school!

- Jonathan Amante

HP Recommended
I can't find that question mark and i'm trying to establish a wireless network using my smartphone's hotspot
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.