Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 convertible Product# M1V62UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our HP Envy Laptop with all updates applied has significant issues connecting to our D-Link DIR822 Router. Other devices connect fine and do not have issues.

Laptop is an HP ENVY x360 - 15-w056ca

Router is a D-Link DIR-822 HW:C1 FW:3.13

Upon returning home the laptop will often not log in to WIFI automatically.  Pretty much every day it will slow to a crawl, and it often dumps out of streaming services with a complaint that there is not enough bandwidth.

Sometimes turning the WIFI off and on will re-enable it. sometimes you need to go in through settings and reboot it there.

Does anyone have a sure-fire fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just wrap things up, we bit the bullet and after a fair bit of research bought a Dlink COVR mesh system which as it turned out was defective and wouldn't even connect to the fibre modem's Internet!

Returned it and spent another $100 for a Linksys Velop mesh system.  I have to say the the setup on this was just brilliant.  Plug one node into the  modem, then add the app to your smartphone. The app connects to subsequent nodes using bluetooth and just automagically sets it all up.  

I've re-positioned the three nodes a couple of times (it's a three story townhouse) to try and fill dead spots, and it now seems to be doing an OK job.  We're limited by the odd locations of AC outlets.

The HP laptop still has issues, but much less than before.  It's old enough that I expect it will be replaced soon, and demoted/promoted to a Linux system.   

Ultimately I guess that I'd say this is resolved, but I still wonder how a single antenna 2.5 ghz only cheapo router bought ten years ago managed to do a great job (until the day it died) when a $400 mesh system or $300 eight antenna router won't.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter 756751-005

Broadcom Bluetooth Driver

12.0.1.695 Rev.A22.0 MBJul 27, 2015Download

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver (Windows 10)

7.35.275.2 Rev.B37.7 MBJul 27, 2015Download

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure that the drivers are as up to date as is possible (or so the HP app claims) but I'll download them and see if it helps.  Am I right in assuming that the Bluetooth driver isn't needed for WIFI?

HP Recommended

You are correct.

HP Recommended

Ack! Defeated yet again by Windows 10.  I can't for the life of me get sp71994.exe to install. If I double click it it launches, and gets part way through installing then just stops.  If I try to Update the driver from the device settings it seems to only want an .inf.

I'm just spoiled by Linux I guess.

HP Recommended

Hi

Try a live distro like Lubuntu and this...

Credit to Bapoumba, Ubuntu Forums
When troubleshooting wireless, it's important that your system is fully updated by opening a terminal, CTRL+ALT+T. Using a wired internet connection, please run:
Code:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

and reboot if necessary.

If the issues persist, it is recommended that you install pastebinit, by running:
Code:

sudo apt install pastebinit

This will enable the wireless script to, upon your approval, upload the obtained data to pastebin, creating at the same time a link to it in your terminal, permitting you to paste it to a forum thread.

Once that's done, download and run the wireless info script, which will gather information to help diagnose your system. You can run it using this command:
Code:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && \
chmod +x wireless-info && \
./wireless-info

It will create the file "wireless-info.txt" at the location it is run from, and depending on its size, an additional archive called "wireless-info.tar.gz". If you prefer, you can post the file directly to pastebin yourself. Sensitive information like MAC addresses and WPA/WEP keys are masked automatically.

If you aren't able to connect to the internet with the affected system, including via a wired connection, just navigate to
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082305&p=12350385&viewfull=1#post12350385 using another device and follow the instructions there on how to the run wireless script without an internet connection.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Sorry, the problem is with windows 10, not Linux. (Which always works great)

HP Recommended

So the Laptop works correctly hardware wise.

The difficulty is with the W10 OS, not the HP part?

Consider asking Microsoft.

HP Recommended

More followup.  We've switched from cable Internet to a brand new fibre line, so have eliminated that from the equation.

After a LOT of back and forth we can state two things:

1) The HP envy refuses to connect through the D-Link router to the Internet if it comes home from another location.  It WILL connect to the router, but will say "No Internet." Only rebooting the laptop will make it work again.  The Broadcom drivers are installed and up to date.  Once it has been rebooted it will stay connected with no problems, and it connects fin to access [points in other places.

Other Devices always reconnect to the D-Link with no problem.  At this point it has to be something about the HP hardware, the D-link router, and Windows 10 that causing the issue.  No idea what combination of things it is.

2) We are still experiencing a real drop-off in bandwidth every evening til around midnight.  I don't believe that our 150 meg fibre connection is causing this.  Speeds actually drop down to 10 megs or less.  Streaming media just doesn't work.

This effects every device in the house, so i have to think it's a router problem.  I'm guessing that the D-link can't handle interference from the fifteen or twenty other routers in the immediate vicinity and is just crapping out.

At this point we're going to bit the bullet and buy a new router from a someone other than D-Link and see if that solves things.   It irritates me that a two year old, not really cheap device is failing so bad.

A note on that: although the router has never performed REALLY well, it was adequate for a year or so.  Maybe the hardware is just failing slowly. Maybe the interference from outside is just rising slowly. Maybe a firmware update is causing it.  I really don't care at this point.

HP Recommended

Hi

Change the Broadcom adapter also?

Ask again as needed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.