Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6530b notebook PC
Microsoft Windows Vista

I received an old laptop from my brother in law and am trying to get it cleared and set up for use. I see the Wi-Fi is connected but I am unable to access the internet. I keep getting page cannot be displayed. I do not have access to another network. I need to access the internet so that I can add this device to my Norton. I cannot access internet to update the browser or any other necessary functions. The laptop is using Internet Explorer and Windows 8. I have tried changing settings, checked to make sure  the proper items are checked in the advanced section regarding internet. The best I can come up with is that the ethernet is disconnect. My research, however, says I do not need both ethernet and wi-fi. If that is the case, then why can I not get access to websites? What else can I do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@spiritprsn8 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to connect wireless.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Step 1 Network Troubleshooter - 

1) In the search box, type and open "Troubleshooter". 

2) Click on "Network and Internet". 

3) Click on "Internet Connections".  

Step 2 Run Network commands - 

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes. 

2) At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem: 

Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter. 

Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter. 

Type ipconfig /release and press Enter. 

Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter. 

Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. 

Step 3 Re-install the Network Adapter - 

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results. 

2) In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name. 

3) Right-click on the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall. 

4) Restart the computer.  

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.