Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I turned on my computer this morning after a Windows  update and it wouldnt allow me to connect to my wifi. Initially it said that I was manually connected to an old network but I deleted that and tried to manually connect to my home network but no luck. I worked through all the trouble shooting options and checked to see if the driver was up to date (it was) - all without success.  My computer allows me to connect an ethernet cord to it and the router and use the internet that way. I know it's not the router because I use the internet wi-fi with my iPad. Here are some specifics:

Product Model:            E4X87PA         

Product Name:             HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e004au Notebook PC 

Driver:   Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn wi fi adaptor

When I look at the Driver details it appears it is a 32system driver whereas I believe I am running a 64 bit operating  system( but I might be misreading this as I don't know a lot about these things).

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @HappyPaul,

I see that you're having an issue with the wireless and connecting to the internet. I will try to assist you with this.

As you mention this just occurring and that Windows recently updated, I would recommend starting with a system restore to before the issue started. There is a possibility that something during the update caused the issue.

If that doesn't help, try the following document: Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 😎.

To go with the document you can go into device manager > network adapters > right click the wireless adapter > uninstall. Restart your notebook, on start up Windows will reinstall the driver.

If at that point you have no success, make sure that you've done the step in that document hat has you reset power to the router/modem. Yes, the iPad connect, but this doesn't mean there isn't an issue between the notebook and the router. The iPad is a completely different device, how it interacts won't be the same (think of people, I will interact differently with someone then you would). This step, generally alleviates those conflicts.

Try the above and let me know how this goes for you.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @HappyPaul,

I see that you're having an issue with the wireless and connecting to the internet. I will try to assist you with this.

As you mention this just occurring and that Windows recently updated, I would recommend starting with a system restore to before the issue started. There is a possibility that something during the update caused the issue.

If that doesn't help, try the following document: Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 😎.

To go with the document you can go into device manager > network adapters > right click the wireless adapter > uninstall. Restart your notebook, on start up Windows will reinstall the driver.

If at that point you have no success, make sure that you've done the step in that document hat has you reset power to the router/modem. Yes, the iPad connect, but this doesn't mean there isn't an issue between the notebook and the router. The iPad is a completely different device, how it interacts won't be the same (think of people, I will interact differently with someone then you would). This step, generally alleviates those conflicts.

Try the above and let me know how this goes for you.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks Futoji for the prompt response.  

I have been away for a few days. On returning today I turned on my PC and it connected to WiFi straight away. Weird eh?

I will keep your advice in case it happens again and I need to try something to get it working without delay.  

All the best and thanks again,

Paul 

HP Recommended

Nice.  Great advice.  Eventually had to restart the router to fix.  Great analogy, by the way, of how a router relates to each device separately--the way we do people.  I was also confused why my MacBook Pro and iPhones were working fine, but the PC was not connecting.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.