Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys,

just wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem before with the hp gaming pavilion. Ever since I got my laptop I've had issues with my internet connectivity constantly. They haven't hit as hard as they have started to recently. The problem is as follows. Every time I am in an online game and I am actively playing my ping jumps to huge numbers like 5000 or just jumps from 200 to 400 and goes down to normal ping eventually before starting to go crazy again. It has been getting worse and worse and I just decided to contact support to send it over to HP to have them take a look inside as I am not allowed to open the laptop up but unfortunately my warranty has run out. With that I'd like to ask if anyone has had similar problems with their own gaming pavilion or an HP device in general and if they have had it, how can one fix the issue? On a side note I've had my laptop sent over to HP once already for a separate issues that were thankfully resolved while it was still in warranty(really good service by the way). Thanks for the attention!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Natfiz Welcome to HP Community!

Please perform the below steps and check.

Please find the fix for High Ping spikes :

Background information:

Lag can be caused by many different factors, however most often it's network related and usually resolves quickly.

Ping spikes and packet loss are a major cause of lag in online games and are often caused by congestion or interference on the route that is used for your data to travel from your personal computer to the server and back.

Please try the below steps for resolving the high ping spikes after windows update that jeopardize most of the online games.

Before you start fixing this issue make sure that your drivers are up to date as well as your Windows 10.

We have tested the fix in five units so far with 100 % success rate.

Go to device manager and expand the network adapters (be it Realtek or Intel)

Right click on the wireless network adapter and select properties.

go to Advanced tab and change the following values and save your settings:

802.11n channel width for 2.4GHz connections to 20MHz only.

Prefered Band to 2.4GHz.

Roaming Aggressiveness to 1.

Wireless mode to 802.11b/g.

After that you can try to check the ping spikes by :

Open cmd and type the following command : ping google.com -t

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.