Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got this HP Envy 13 laptop a week ago, it's intel core i5 8th gen running Windows 10 64 bit processor. 

This wasn't an issue at the beginning of the week but the past couple of days it is the only device in my house to keep disconnecting from my wifi and the only way to reconnect it is to restart the entire laptop. 

The first time I turned on this laptop as new, there was a BIOS update so it is absolutely up to date. 

It is also up to date with windows updates, however there is an optional update available as well for version 1909. 

How do I get to it to stop dropping the wifi?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ZoChatz Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that laptop keep disconnecting from the internet.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Check for bandwidth-consuming apps or services then test connection speeds

Devices such as smart TVs, wireless TV receivers, laptops, tablets, and phones might be consuming bandwidth and making your Internet service slower. Likewise, applications running on your computer might be using bandwidth in the background.

To isolate this further:

1. Try turning off or temporarily disconnecting any other devices that are using the same Internet connection.

2. Close all other applications on your computer, and then test the connection speed again.

3. Check to see if the problem occurs within a specific application. If it is program-specific, here is a list of items that could help isolate this issue further.

• Check the developer’s website for updates or fixes.

• Try uninstalling and reinstalling the application.

• Try using another similar application.

If the wireless connection speed is still slow, test the network performance with a different device. If the same behavior exhibits, please contact your internet service provider (ISP) as this may be an issue with your internet connection or associated hardware.

If the problem doesn’t show on the other device or if another device is not available to test with, continue to the next step.

Verify connectivity to the wireless network

Manually check if you are connected to the correct wireless network.

1. Click the wireless networks icon in the notification area of the taskbar. (See below for examples)

2. Confirm that the computer is connected to the correct network.

3. If the computer is not connected, select the network and click Connect.

4. Enter the security key or passphrase for the selected wireless network (this would be located on a label on the bottom of most routers) or if your router has a WPS button you can also connect by pushing that button.

5. Click Next and test for wireless connectivity.

6. Try connecting to the Internet again. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

NOTE: The status of the network icon in the notification area can help identify the cause of the network issue.

Select your operating system to view the different network icon images.

Windows 10 network status icons

If there is a red x over the network status icon, this means there are no wireless networks currently available.  If there is a star on the network icon, this means you are not connected to any network.  A successful connection with a strong signal. (this doesn’t take the different signal strengths into account).  If there is an exclamation mark, this means you are connected to network but have no Internet access. You should check the router or modem to see any Internet connection problem.

Temporarily disable the firewall software

Temporarily disable the firewall software on your computer to see if it is interfering with the Internet connection speed.

1. Right-click the taskbar icon associated with your firewall software and select Disable firewall or similar.

2. After disabling the firewall, test Internet connection performance. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

• If the connection is still slow, then the firewall is not part of the problem.

• If the connection is faster, then adjust the firewall settings or use a different firewall.

CAUTION: Remember to re-enable the firewall after testing.

Update network adapter drivers through Device Manager

Installing the latest wireless LAN adapter driver can resolve common issues with the wireless Internet connection. Use Device Manager to find the latest WLAN driver.

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Network adapters, right-click the name of the Wireless Adapter, then select Update Driver Software.

3. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. If an updated driver is found, follow the instructions to install it.

Try connecting to the Internet again. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

Update the BIOS (notebook PCs): Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629

Disable power management state for the wireless adapter in Device Manager

Most wireless devices can be turned off by the system to save power. In some sleep scenarios, the device might not wake properly when the system returns from sleep or hibernate. To prevent this from happening, adjust the power management settings for the wireless adapter.

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Network Adapters to expand the list, right-click the wireless (Wi-Fi) adapter in the list, and then select Properties.

3. In the Adapter Properties window, click the Power Management tab.

4. Remove the check next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.

5. Close Device Manager, restart the notebook computer and then attempt to reconnect to the wireless network.

Confirm only one antivirus/firewall software is running

Performance can be negatively affected when multiple antivirus programs are installed on your computer. Uninstall all but one antivirus program.

For Windows 10 and 8

To remove programs and software components from your computer hard disk drive, follow these steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

2. In the Uninstall or change a program window, select the program you want to remove from the list and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change at the top of the program list.

3. Read and respond to any messages that may open while the software is being removed from your computer.

4. Test to see if the wireless issue continues. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

Temporarily disable Bluetooth

Try temporarily disabling Bluetooth to see if this impacts the network performance.

After disabling Bluetooth, try to see if the wireless issue continues. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

NOTE: If no Bluetooth device or options are present, your PC may not have been equipped with this feature.

Windows 10

1. Right click Start and select Settings.

2. Click Devices and select Bluetooth.

3. Slide the Bluetooth settings to Off.

Use the Network and Internet Troubleshooter (Windows 10):

Use the Network and Internet Troubleshooter (Windows 10)

The Network and Internet Troubleshooter tests the network for problems and attempts automatic repairs for any issues found.

1. Right-click the wireless connection icon in the notification area, then select Troubleshoot problems. The Windows Network Diagnostic window opens and the troubleshooting process begins.  NOTE: This is an image of a connected network, your icon may look different depending upon the status.
  2. After automated troubleshooting has completed, read the information on the screen.
  • This describes problems found, fixed, or actions necessary to resolve the connectivity problems.

• When complete, follow any recommended actions and try connecting again.

• If the problem persists or there were no issues found by the troubleshooter, close the results screen and continue to the next step.

Change the channel band selection on your router

If your computer can connect to the wireless router but performance is poor or the connection drops, changing the wireless channel band might help. Changing the wireless channel works best for 2.4 GHz routers and environments with lots of wireless network activity, such as apartment buildings.

The steps to change the wireless channel depend on your wireless router brand and model. You can use the following general steps to change the channels for many routers. If these steps do not work, refer to the user guide that came with your router.

1. Connect your computer directly to the router using a supported network cable.

2. Open an Internet browser and enter the default IP addresses for your router into the browser URL address field.

3. Enter a user name and/or password.

4. Scan through the setup pages on the web form to find the channel selection settings.

5. Write down the name of the channel your router is currently using in case you need to change it back.

6. Select another number and save your settings. For example, if the channel is set to 6, select channel 1 and save.

7. Test your wireless devices on your network to see if performance has improved. If not, you can repeat these steps and try another channel until you find one that works well.

Test the wireless issue again. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

Restart the PC

1. Restart the computer with the wireless issue.

2. After the computer has restarted, try connecting to the Internet again

let me know how that pans out,
And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!
Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 
Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Good luck.

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for getting back to me. 

I have tried all of these recommended steps but none seem to be making a difference.

However, I am almost certain that this could be fixed by disabling power management state for the wireless adapter in Device Manager because my laptop only struggles to connect to the internet after being turned on and after exiting sleep mode/hibernate and after being idle for an extended period of time. 

I have accessed the Device Manager and right clicked my adapter and entered 'properties', however, I do not have a tab for 'power management' therefore I cannot untick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Is there a reason that I do not have a 'power management' tab. I have attached a screenshot of what my adapter property window looks like for reference. 

Device adapater proof.png

HP Recommended

@ZoChatz
Thank you for posting back. 

The last thing I can suggest trying to restore the computer back to the factory settings. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.