Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
6470b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop has an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 network card.  I believe this card does not support Bluetooth.  Is there a card that does both which I can replace it with that is supported by Windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are correct.  The Intel 6205 is a dual band wifi card that does not have bluetooth.

Your notebook came out during the time when HP was transitioning from not having BIOS whitelists.

A whitelist prevents any card not listed in the service manual for your model notebook from working.

We don't know for sure if your model has one or not.  It might, it might not.  HP never publishes that info.

I am leaning toward the opinion that it doesn't, since it has a Mobile Intel series 7 chipset.

Here is a cheap dual band N card you can try and see if it works...you can find plenty of them for sale in used but tested and working condition on eBay...

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth4.0 Adapter   HP part # 730668-001

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=730668-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

If you want to risk more money, you can try the Intel dual band AC wifi card with bluetooth...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can also find those on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are correct.  The Intel 6205 is a dual band wifi card that does not have bluetooth.

Your notebook came out during the time when HP was transitioning from not having BIOS whitelists.

A whitelist prevents any card not listed in the service manual for your model notebook from working.

We don't know for sure if your model has one or not.  It might, it might not.  HP never publishes that info.

I am leaning toward the opinion that it doesn't, since it has a Mobile Intel series 7 chipset.

Here is a cheap dual band N card you can try and see if it works...you can find plenty of them for sale in used but tested and working condition on eBay...

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth4.0 Adapter   HP part # 730668-001

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=730668-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

If you want to risk more money, you can try the Intel dual band AC wifi card with bluetooth...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can also find those on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed reply!  Could you also point me to service manuals for this machine?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the link to the service manual...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03564727

The Atheros card has bluetooth, but that is only a single band card, so you would lose reception on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

HP Recommended

Could you please provide a link to where I can see/download other manuals for this laptop?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the manuals page for your notebook.

From there, you can also navigate to other sections of the support page for your model.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-probook-6470b-notebook-pc/5212922/manuals

HP Recommended

Thanks again. My 6470b says Product number C4H63UC#ABA****.  The online HP support site does not recognize those numbers.  Is there any way to tell the manufacture date?

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Yes, based on the serial number you posted (which is against the forum rules to post, BTW), your notebook was made in the 43rd week of 2012.  The 243 tells me that.

2 = 2012

43 = 43rd week of the year.

Here is the parts list for that product number...

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=C4H63UC

HP Recommended

OOPS!  So sorry, I am a newbie here.  One last (I hope) question - is it likely that I will need the Bluetooth module 4.0 EDR 655792-001 cable if I replace the Wifi card?  Also, is the Wifi/Bluetooth card a WLAN or WWAN card - or does it really matter - except for the cables?  

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you go with either of the wifi cards I posted, and assuming they work, you shouldn't have to do anything but perhaps install the Bluetooth driver.

Wifi and bluetooth are all on the same device (card), and are activated in the same slot.

The service manual did list the Atheros wifi card with bluetooth, so any other card with bluetooth should work.

The separate bluetooth module and cable would have been used as an option for the models with the dual band Intel wifi cards such as yours that don't have onboard bluetooth.

WWAN is a whole different animal. 

That is a mobile broadband card that works in conjunction with a SIM card, and requires cellular service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.