Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear All,

I have a HP Envy 15 laptop, with Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter (updated to last available driver version: 5.0.37.0 of 25th Nov 2013).

When I try to connect to my home router (XYXEL VMG8924-B10D, 2.4Ghz network 802.11b/g/n Mixed) the  "Limited Wi-Fi connectivity" message appears and I'm not able to connect to the network.

Considering that:

- the Wi-fi router works properly (there are at least 6 devices successfully connected to it).

- my laptop are able to connect with other Wi-Fi network.

I really do not understand why I'm not able to connect with my laptop to my home Wi-Fi router.

Can you please help me?

Thank you in advance for your support.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

5.0.37.0 is not the latest W8.1 Ralink wifi driver.

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to see if the final W8.1 wifi driver that HP released resolves the problem.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69543.exe

You may also want to update the Bluetooth driver to the last one HP released...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69545.exe

If that doesn't work, if you let me know the full model number or product number of your notebook, I will let you know if there is a better model wifi/Bluetooth card you can upgrade to.

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply: I have installed the version 5.0.50.0 but the problem remains.

Model: Notebook HP ENVY 15-j100sl (ENERGY STAR)

Product number: F9E61EA

Moreover, I have tried to remove the wifi encryption method and the laptop is able to connect to Wi-Fi.

Re-enabling the encryption method (WPA2-PSK,  the only one allowed by my home router), the problem appears again.

Is Ralink RT3290 not compatibile with WPA-PSK method?

HP Recommended

You should be using WPA2-AES for better wifi security.

You may want to consider buying an updated router.

I can't find any specs on your notebook model.

If it has an Intel processor, replace the Ralink wifi card with this model and not only will it work better, you will also have dual band AC wifi.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find this model wifi card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

It is easy to do in your notebook...Shouldn't take more than 5 - 10 minutes.

c04091768.pdf (hp.com)

Before installing the Intel card, go to the device manager, and uninstall both the Ralink wifi and bluetooth adapters, and check the uninstall driver box.

Then shut down, unplug the PC, remove the battery and install the Intel card.

Here are the links to the latest W8.1 wifi and bluetooth drivers for the Intel 7260.

3rd one down on the left for both.

Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Intel® Wireless 7260 Family

Download Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Intel® Wireless 7260 Family and Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your support.

Thus, the only way to solve this problem is to change the router or the laptop wif-fi card.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.