Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
XF465EA#A2N
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I restarted my pc and a red x on my wifi icon showed up and i cant connect to my wifi I restarted my pc 4 times but it didn’t work
27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

A red X over the wireless icon in the systray means the wifi is either disabled or does not have a driver installed. 

Use the Device Manager to see if there is a driver installed and that the device is enabled.

When the notebook is on, is the wireless light on the keyboard lit and colored white or is it amber in color?

Amber means the wifi is off.

Have you tried using the Fn key and the wifi key on the keyboard to turn on the wifi? 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
The driver is 100%installed and the wifi light
is white
HP Recommended
And yes i tried 10 times
HP Recommended

@Amjadkhu wrote:
The driver is 100%installed and the wifi light
is white

Then you should see your desired wifi connection and others and be able to connect to an appropriate connection with the password key.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
I know but I can’t and i dont know why
HP Recommended

Did you open the notebook, happen to inadvertently disconnect the tiny wires connected to the wifi adapter and forget to reconnect them?

You can always purchase a USB 802.11 b/g/n dongle to plug into a USB port on the laptop to use. That is in case the installed wifi no longer works. It does happen and a usb wifi dongle is the simplest solution. 

HP Recommended
I don’t think so
HP Recommended

Did you open the notebook's case completely?

HP Recommended
On my toshiba laptop the wifi is working
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.