Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 CTO Select Edition Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please read entire message.

I just opened the box of and attempted to install a new NXG XP2 Wireless Headphone, or pair it, I've done this before, but it's been a while.  After the pairing didn't happen I tried the same procedure with my Samsung Galaxy A10 smartphone...it connected and works fine.  I went back to my HP Pavillion dv Notebook and tried to determine what might be wrong.   I've had it for some time and upgraded the OS from Windows 7Pro to Windows 10Pro about two years ago and changed my main drive over to SSD maybe a year ago....I know I've used bluetooth since the OS change and I'm not positive about using it since the Drive change to SSD, but I may have....anyway, whatever I've tried to make any corrections have shown me that I cannot find anything listed to show I've got "Bluetooth"....I have several devices I've installed and have run that are bluetooth that do show up in my files, so I'm not dreaming....I actually DID have bluetooth devices operating on my laptop and everything else seems okay with it.   How can I locate and install a new bluetooth driver (which I'd normally expect to have happen automatically) which shouldn't cost anything and should allow any of the other bluetooth devices I've had working on this laptop to function and any others - like the new headphones - I may install in the future to work also.

Okay, I'm done.   Could someone please help me out with this?  I'd sure appreciate it.   Thanks 

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model wifi adapter does your notebook have?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

The bluetooth radio is combined on the same circuit board as the wifi radio.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for your reply.   To answer your question....the only thing I find that refers to anything to do with communications is  "Ralink RT 539OR 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter"    - current version 5.0.57.1 Microsoft"

I'd like to add that I also found there was an option in the tool I used to locate this to "revert" to an earlier version....when I went back to look at the information again the wording had changed to these: "view details"  "roll back to previous driver" (greyed out)

and "uninstall driver"    There were four other ID's under View Details, plus a more detailed description of the current driver.

I hope this might give you a better idea about what I might be able to do about this problem I've found myself with.

Hope to hear back something hopeful...thanks for what you've sent so far.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That's what I was afraid of.

That model wifi adapter has major issues with the newer builds of W10 where the Bluetooth and most of the time the wifi completely disappears from the device manager.

Unfortunately, there is no fix.

You have 3 options...

1.  Replace the internal Ralink wifi card with this model...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find the card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03221579.pdf

2. Purchase a USB Bluetooth adapter.

3. Go back to Windows 7, where the Ralink Bluetooth will work again.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Just a thought, but would what you told me about the problems experienced with the driver I'm apparently using with my laptop right now...not only my lack of bluetooth, but also what seems to be a good deal of "glitches, and or hiccoughs" in my online usage be explained by the same thing?  That is, my finicky driver?  I'm presently living where I'm having to use the WiFi of the person paying for the Xfinity services.  I've just been putting up with what I assumed was their lousy service, never giving a thought that it might be something wrong with my laptop....I think I mentioned I wasn't really sure if I'd even tried using the bluetooth for quite some time...so thanks for possibly pointing out another problem that a new adapter, or part might take care of.

I'd sure like to hear your take on it.

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the Ralink card was never a really good one when it came out.

The Intel AC should be much better and has more recent driver support than the Ralink card has.

It also gives you dual band (2.4/5.0 GHz wifi) so you will have the option to use the 5.0 GHz wifi band, where the Ralink card is limited to the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks again for your reply.  I'll go ahead and figure on doing the replacement and look forward to seeing if there's a noticeable improvement (besides restoring bluetooth of course)  I'll just have to wait a little bit to get enough $ to swing it first, but it's on my list.  I had a really hard and terrible time getting on amazon to locate the part, but finally found it...I've also checked the procedure and it looks like a snap and, as I said, it's no big deal about a little wait.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me out with this.  I appreciate it, really!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You can get an Intel 7260 AC pretty cheap on eBay if you are willing to wait the 2 - 3 weeks it will take to ship it from China.

That's where I got mine from.

The first one listed for $4.50 is not the one that fits in your notebook. 

That card is a M.2 form factor card, and your notebook uses the Half Mini Card form factor (the card with the antenna connectors on opposite ends of the wifi card).

710661-001 | eBay

HP Recommended

Paul,

I was all set to go ahead and get the adapter I need on it's way, but was not sure about the ones I found on ebay...I was afraid I might end up with one exactly like the one I'd be replacing.

I did find one on amazon I'm pretty sure about, but not absolutely.  I was hoping if I sent you a copy of the one I'm looking at, if you could give me your take on if I'm making the right choice.  

Intel Wireless-n 7260 7260hmw Bn Half Mini Pci-e Bluetooth Bt Wireless WiFi Card 802.11 B G N 717384 710661 001 for HP Laptop

Okay, it's all text and they are asking more than $4.50 for it, but the shipping is free and it's coming from the USA...does this look like it's the one I need?  I'd just feel better with a second opinion, then I might be back in business by this time next week.

By the way...just for kicks I ran some of the same things from the same sites on a tablet I have that uses the same Wi Fi signal I've been using with my laptop and it all seemed to run smoother/better. I checked that reception against what I get when I try the same thing on my smart phone which gets it's reception from it's own source....seemed about the same.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Anyhow, thanks again for the help and hope I haven't been a PITA. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that one should work fine, if this is the one you are looking at.

Amazon.com: Intel Wireless-n 7260 7260hmw Bn Half Mini Pci-e Bluetooth Bt Wireless WiFi Card 802.11 ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.