Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p290nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a problem regarding the Broadcom Wireless LAN network driver. Due to network issues, unable to find wifi networks, I decided to uninstall the driver and then restart my laptop, thinking it would reinstall the driver. However, it did not reinstall the wifi driver. I then tried to install the driver via the HP customer support webpage. When opening the setup to install the Broadcom Wireless LAN driver, I noticed the installshield wizard very quickly closed and it did not install the driver. I don't know how to get the Broadcom Wireless LAN driver back on my HP Pavilion p290nd if the setup launcher keeps closing everytime I try to install the driver. 

Screenshot (67).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct.

So try removing and reseating the wifi card.  Sometimes the electrical contacts get oxidized and the contact is lost between the card and the slot.

If removing and reseating the wifi card does not get it to show up, then you will need to replace the wifi card.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this newer version installs...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78044.exe

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this one does not work either. I still get the same problem where the installshield wizard fails to launch properly. However, when I try to install the Broadcom Bluetooth Driver the installshield wizard launches and is able to install the bluetooth driver. Why it does not work for the Broadcom wireless driver I don't know. 

HP Recommended

See if this works.

When the wifi adapter needs a driver, there will be a device in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller (Netwerkcontroller).

Find that device and see if you can manually install the driver as follows...

Click on the Netwerkcontroller device, click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for drivers' option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the driver I posted.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp78044.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

I cannot find the network controller in the device manager. I dont think its present.

HP Recommended

Then it is not a driver problem.

The wifi card has probably failed and needs to be replaced.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. How do you conclude its not a driver problem, but rather the wifi card has failed? 

I also checked whether the system file of the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver is still on my laptop. Even though I uninstalled the driver, the system file (bcmwl63a.sys) is still listed under C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Could it help to perform a factory reset to exclude the driver as being the problem in this case?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Do you see the Broadcom wifi adapter listed under the Network adapters device manager category?

If not, it is dead.  The drivers will always remain in the windows operating system after you installed them.

If you do see the Broadcom wifi adapter listed there, then perhaps a factory reset will work.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for guiding me through the problem. I do not see the Broadcom wifi adapter under Network adapters, so I guess you are right. In the meantime I have spoken to HP customer service and they suggested to perform an extensive UEFI test to see if the problem is hardware or software related. I guess if its hardware related the wifi card needs to be replaced, if its software related I dont know what I should do. Anyway, I will come back to you after the UEFI test. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As a preliminary hardware troubleshooting procedure, you could try removing and firmly reseating the wifi card.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PCHP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

In the event you need to replace the Broadcom wifi card, I recommend you substitute it with this equivalent wifi/bluetooth card.

Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter   HP part # 753077-005.

You should be able to find plenty of these cards for sale on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

I don't believe that it will give you as much trouble as the Broadcom card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.