Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 17-by0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings one and all. 

A few days ago I updated 3"things" in HP Support Assist. Don't ask what the updates were, because I don't remember.

Since then the Wi-Fi button keeps going in the off position. Even after turning the button on it will not connect. The only way I can get connected is to do a network reset. Once the baby goes to sleep or gets shut down the Wi-Fi button turns off and it's back to network reset. Supposedly my driver is fine. This all happened once I did those 3 HP updates.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @Trouts5301

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the Wi-Fi issue. 

Let's try these steps - 

Step 1 Network Troubleshooter -

1) In the search box, type and open "Troubleshooter".

2) Click on "Network and Internet".

3) Click on "Internet Connections".

Step 2 Re-install the Network Adapter -

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.

2) In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.

3) Right-click on the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.

4) Restart the computer.

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 3 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 4 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi asmita6658,

Thanks for responding to my problem.

The good news is I don't need to use network reset to get a wireless connection.

I will start with Step 1.

When using the Network Troubleshooter it would tell me to turn the Wi-Fi button on. I have been doing this since this issue began again without any luck.

I will jump to steps 3 and 4.

There was an update for Windows which I installed. There were no updates in HP Support Assistant.

Step 2

After uninstalling the network adapter and driver software and restarting the computer I would still need to go and turn the

Wi-Fi on and then click on check  show available networks, then it would connect. Unfortunately once the computer would go to sleep for a long period or I would shut it off I would loose the connection and it would mean going back  uninstalling the adapter and starting all over again. Ugh.

Thanks again for your help and if you have any other ideas I would be more than willing to try them. 

HP Recommended

@Trouts5301

Try changing the power options - 

1) Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Power Options and select the top most search result.
2) Click on Change when the computer sleeps option from the left side panel of the window and click on Change advanced power settings.
3) Expand Sleep>Sleep after and choose Never from the drop down bar.
4) Click on Apply and OK after setting the time.
5) Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

If the issue still persists, troubleshoot using the Windows Power troubleshooter -

1) In Windows, search for and open the Control Panel.

2) In the Control Panel Search field, type troubleshooting.

3) Click Troubleshooting.

4) In the System and Security area, click Improve power usage.

5) Click Next to run the troubleshooting tool.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita6658,

I'm back. Unfortunately nothing you suggested worked. I tried other options that I saw on HP videos that were similar to what you said and those too proved futile.

What I ended up doing was a factory reset. I actually thought that worked because when it asked me to connect to the internet it did so with out any problem. As soon as it went to sleep I lost the connection and I went back to uninstalling the driver and everything else you said to do.

What I did notice was once I turned the Wi-Fi button on and if I left the Wi-Fi page in the settings page and went to Status in settings or any other page the Wi-Fi button went off. One  other thing, once the button was turned on it would seem to search for a signal.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Trouts5301

Please test the hardware using these steps -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F2 once. 
4) Go to Component test. 
5) From the list, run the Wi-Fi Module test. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and have tried all the above. WiFi keeps turning off.

HP Recommended

Hi @dbcal

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita, I didn't see my response with the picture to your 11/30 suggestion so I will resend it. As you can see there is no Wi_Fi  Module Test on  Component Test .

IMG_20191130_065619576.jpg

HP Recommended

Asmita, I did find this yesterday. I hope it leads to a resolution.IMG_20191202_074714493.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.