Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 13-ay0003nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After facing random disconnects, slow internet, and finnicky Bluetooth, I've finally figured out what's up: the WiFi and Bluetooth interfere with one another.

The American models use a really nice Intel networking card - however, sadly, the model I got my hands on here in Europe uses a Realtek card (Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter). Perhaps HP forgot to thoroughly check these lower end cards, because the one I ended up with really isn't worth its salt. I've already tried turning off every possible power saving option I could find, but that really doesn't seem to affect it at all.

The moment I disconnect the Bluetooth, my download speed jumps from 20 mbps to 100 mbps, and disconnects are no longer a problem. If I combine this with a USB Bluetooth adapter, the Bluetooth issues are solved as well. However, I'd rather not waste a port like that, and it kind of gets in the way when I'm using the device as a tablet, so I want to actually fix the problem if possible.

Usually I'd just open up the laptop and install a nice Killer card or something, but HP deems this device "not user servicable", so I can't open it up without peeling off some rubber; not to mention that the network card is socketed anyhow.

Does anyone here have any experience to share? Because Google came short on this one.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DriverProblem

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  As I understand the WiFi drops when the Bluetooth is turned on, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:

1. Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2. Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices are using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3. Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4. Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

That said, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

https://hp.care/2JshaSG

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

Thanks for the reply.

1. This concerns a mouse and a headset (and a HP Tilt pen at first, until I discovered that the Tilt functionality is deprecated despite being sold under the "Tilt" moniker...), so they're both only removed half a metre at most, with no significant barriers to speak of.

2. I thoroughly tested every channel using a third-party tool (inSSIDer), but it didn't do much in the way of fixing my problems.

3. That isn't an option; I should be able to comfortably use my network card from my current ten metre distance.

4. That would make for a fun tech support anecdote, but I have neither in my vicinity.

The link you sent me redirects endlessly, but the troubleshooting tool within HP Support Assistance (part of the pre-installed bloatware toolbox) doesn't do much either.
I tried running Ubuntu Linux as well to see if Windows is to blame, but I experienced the exact same problems with Linux, so it really does seem like a hardware issue. It's such a shame to have cluncky networking sour an otherwise incredible laptop experience.

HP Recommended

@DriverProblem,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:

1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.

2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.

3. Expand Network adapters.

4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.

5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.

6. Restart your PC and test.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@

I tried everything you mentioned, but it's no use.

I did discover one new titbit though: connecting directly to my modem instead of my router works without problems, though the Bluetooth remains iffy even then.  In the end, this is only really useful during the few times when the laptop won't connect to my router, even with the USB Bluetooth adapter.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@DriverProblem

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

Thanks for the suggestions, but it seems that it really is a hardware issue. Factory resetting doesn't affect the problem at all, and - like I mentioned earlier - even using Ubuntu Linux doesn't change a thing (so I'm sure it's not just Windows acting up).

The issue is bearable with a USB Bluetooth adapter, though it is a bit of a shame.

HP Recommended

@DriverProblem

Thank you for posting back.

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.