Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a Pavilion 17t at Costco. Overall, I'm liking the  computer. But it has one major issue, that is unacceptable for a laptop computer. The wifi keeps not working. I haven't found a pattern to this either.

I will be connected to my wifi network, and then suddenly the internet will stop working. It still shows connected to the router, but can't reach the internet. I have contacted HP support twice about this now, and their solution has not resolved the issue. The BIOS has been updated, the driver has been updated, Windows 10 has been updated, the wireless driver has been uninstalled and reinstalled. I still have the issue. If I attempt a restart when this happens, the restart takes a very, very long time. I've clocked it at 2 minutes before I did a manual power button restart on it. But the restart issue seems to happen every time the wifi issue happens(assuming I do a restart). I've tried turning the wifi off and on, and that proves difficult. It will often turn back on as soon as I turn it off, or not respond at all to my attempts.

If I connect a wired connection to the laptop, I am able to connect to the internet again. All other devices on the wireless router will continue to work fine when this computer does not.

What would be my next steps to try and resolve this issue? What more information might you need from me?

HP Pavilion 17-g133-cl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

(Edits: Add product and OS info, correct a few grammatical mistakes. Add the "Click 'OK'" step.)

Alright, I've been all over the internet trying to fix this as I had the same experience. I've found a solution and I signed up on these forums just to post it. This problem has been a nightmare and I wanted to share.

My machine is also the HP Pavilion 17 G1337-CL, which has the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless ac3165. (I did make one hardware change by swapping out the HDD for an SSD)

The problem that I had was produced by Windows power management system. When I went just a few minutes without accessing the internet it would close down. I could have a browser window open, but if I was not actively sending or receiving data, the connection would shut down.

This is the two part solution (Windows 10):

PART 1

Right-click windows start menu

Select "Device Manager"

Open the "Network adapters" drop down

Right-click "Inter(R) Dual Band Wireless AC-3165"

Select "Properties"

Select "Power Management" tab

Uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

Click "Ok"

PART 2

Right-click "RealTek PCIe FE Family Controller"

Select "Properties"

Click "Ok"

Restart the computer (don't know if it is necessary, but I always restart)

That fixed it for me.

I had found Part 1 on a number of forums, but I had to figure out Part 2 on my own. I have been connected to the internet for nearly 24 hours without a single loss of connection! Essentially, the driver for the controller was shutting down and not restarting properly. Without the controller, the wireless card can't communicate with the system.

I sincerely hope this helps, this has been a beast of an issue and has been all consuming for my last three days off!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you will have Internet and network working just fine and suddenly the Internet is dropped but you are still connected to  the network.

You have done all the Windows updates and ran the HP Support Assistant. (HPSA) to no avail.  You have updated the bios.

You contacted HP support for assistance, but the issue remains.
Would you check this setting please?

Click and hold on the Windows key (lower left corner)
Open Device Manager
Click on the network adapter
Right click on the network adapter and choose properties
Click on the power management tab.  If "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked  please remove it. and press OK
Repeat this process for any other network adapters listed.

Here is a link to the  HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)  that may also help.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!
To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
That had already been done with the first support tech. This seems to be a common problem on this wireless card.
HP Recommended

Hi @Speedwagon,

Thank you for your reply.  

I am not sure if this link will help, but it is worth a shot. Although the following link states it is for Windows 8, the steps are still valid.

Would you please try resetting the TCP/IP 

• Right click on the Windows button lower left corner
  • Choose command prompt admin
  • Type :

1.   netsh  int reset all and press enter.

2.   netsh int ip reset  and press enter.

3.   netsh winsock reset and press enter.

Once completed reboot your machine. 

This link may also help. 

How to fix limited or no connectivity Wi-Fi issues in Windows 8 ( from fixedbyvonnie.com)

Please keep me updated.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

By any chance are you using a third-party Anti Virus application on your PC that is controlling the Firewall?

Try temporarily disabling it.  See if the internet connection returns.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

This is a driver issue. On the suggestion of one of my coworkers, who does IT stuff, Intel drivers are utter garbage. He told me to completely remove the wireless drivers, delete them, and restart. When I restarted, Windows 10 used it's drivers for the wireless card. I just used the computer for about an our without losing the connection, whereas before I couldn't seem to go more than 5-15 minutes. I'm going to wait a day, if this holds true tomorrow, I will consider this the solution.

HP Recommended

HI @Speedwagon_1,

Thank you for the update and the information.

Should you have any queries in the future, please do not hesitate to post  it in the forum.  We are here to help!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Well the issue kept coming back, because Windows always updates the driver. I finally got fed up with it, and after multiple phone calls with HP, I opted to return the laptop to Costco for a new one. Got the same model.

And guess what? SAME ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP, Intel, and Windows apparently can't make a driver worth a **bleep**. I may end up taking this garbage back, and refrain from buying another HP for as long as a live. This is ridiculous.

HP Recommended

(Edits: Add product and OS info, correct a few grammatical mistakes. Add the "Click 'OK'" step.)

Alright, I've been all over the internet trying to fix this as I had the same experience. I've found a solution and I signed up on these forums just to post it. This problem has been a nightmare and I wanted to share.

My machine is also the HP Pavilion 17 G1337-CL, which has the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless ac3165. (I did make one hardware change by swapping out the HDD for an SSD)

The problem that I had was produced by Windows power management system. When I went just a few minutes without accessing the internet it would close down. I could have a browser window open, but if I was not actively sending or receiving data, the connection would shut down.

This is the two part solution (Windows 10):

PART 1

Right-click windows start menu

Select "Device Manager"

Open the "Network adapters" drop down

Right-click "Inter(R) Dual Band Wireless AC-3165"

Select "Properties"

Click "Ok"

PART 2

Right-click "RealTek PCIe FE Family Controller"

Select "Properties"

Click "Ok"

Restart the computer (don't know if it is necessary, but I always restart)

That fixed it for me.

I had found Part 1 on a number of forums, but I had to figure out Part 2 on my own. I have been connected to the internet for nearly 24 hours without a single loss of connection! Essentially, the driver for the controller was shutting down and not restarting properly. Without the controller, the wireless card can't communicate with the system.

I sincerely hope this helps, this has been a beast of an issue and has been all consuming for my last three days off!

HP Recommended

I was typing a response to say I had just unchecked that box and rebooted, and we'll see how it goes. But in the middle of typing that response, it went to limited connectivity.

It's ridiculous that this is such a widespread problem(a simple internet search reveals lots of people with the problem), and HP seems to be doing nothing to solve it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.