Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 15-f010dx
Windows 8.1

I just bought this laptop about a month and a half ago, and a few weeks ago I noticed the Wifi is slow when my laptop is not plugged in. I looked up the issue and changed my power saver settings so that the wifi would have high performance even when not plugged in to the power source. This seemed to work for a couple days, but now it runs slow again when not plugged in.

I went back into the settings to make sure they didn't revert to default, but everything is as I changed it and the problem persists. My internet is SUPER slow when my laptop is not plugged in and works perfectly fine when it is plugged in. I have been unable to find anyone with a similar issue and there are no other settings that pertain to my internet use that I can change to affect any outcome.

Is anyone else having similar issues? Is there a fix for this? I don't like the idea of having to keep my laptop plugged in all the time for internet use. That kind of defeats the purpose of having  a portable computer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @SupaBloo,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that the WiFi internet is slow when the notebook is plugged in, and I would be happy to help you!

To increase the speed and efficiency of your wireless browsing, I recommend following this document on Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎. This should help run a diagnostic on your system using the Network and Internet Troubleshooter, as well as steps to keep your system on the wireless network.

Additionally, I also suggest following the steps below to ensure your power management settings are not interfering with

your network connection:

1. Open DEVICE MANAGER
2. Open up NETWORK ADAPTERS
3. Right click on the WiFi Adapter for the pc and left click on PROPERTIES
4. Click on POWER MANAGEMENT at the top.
5. Remove the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER
6. Click OK
7. Close DEVICE MANAGER and test.

NOTE: It may also be checked under the FAMILY CONTROLLER (eg. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller which would be listed under the WiFi Card). If so, you could remove the check mark beside ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER.

If the issue persists, I recommend following the steps below, starting with a flush of the DNS:

Step 1. Click the Start button
Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter

Step 6. Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns"

Was this successful? If not, I would like you to  reset the TCP/IP stack. To do this follow the next set of steps I have set out below:

Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" and hit Enter
Step 6. Type "netsh int ip reset reset.log" and hit Enter
Step 7. Restart your computer

Next, if none of the above works I would like you to try to Install Windows updates in Windows 8. I would recommend you ensure all updates are done.

Next I would like you to try the next set of steps I have set out for you below:

Step 2. In the search box, type "Windows Explorer"

Step 3. Click on Windows Explorer

Step 4. In the Address bar at the top try to stream a video or download Google Chrome

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Laptop-disconnests-from-internet-unable-to-...

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

i have done all your suggestions sir but still continue to show limited internet when charger is  not plugged in . It disconnects and connects automatically and it is very slow when charger is not plugged in

HP Recommended

I have this same issue, on a completely DIFFERENT laptop than you. Lenovo Ideapad S210 Touch. This did not start for me until the WINDOWS 10 update! Super slow internet while unplugged, wifi randomly cutting out. I do not have any technical reasoning why, but I BLAME WINDOWS 10!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.