Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ab034ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, so the problem I'm facing right now is very inconsistent, and the amount for solutions I've tried so far is quite big, but without any luck. This has been there for almost 1 month. Everything had worked fine for about 4 years, but here's what happened. The problem is that I use wifi on my laptop that's connected to my router, but sometimes, I run into a situation when I suddenly lose internet. On the laptop I can still see about 3 out of 5 lines of wifi connection strength, everything keeps loading, which usually leads to ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT or DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET error in Chrome or page is being loaded with a big delay. But before that error, I saw DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error, although it seems like I fixed it already. While it's happening I can't even access my wifi router settings page on 192.168.0.1. I encounter this issue at least in Opera, Chrome and Telegram desktop client.
I've tried a lot, but as the last solution I could think of was reinstalling Windows, and eventually, I upgraded it from 8.1 to 10, without wiping out user data and programs. After re-installation, it updated my wifi driver, but I can still encounter the same situation described above. Or in some cases: I connected to routed but with a 'No internet' warning or I just got disconnected from my router at all!
The only thing that resolves it, is disconnecting and connecting to the router. And it works for a few seconds and I have this issue again. Sometimes it resolves itself in about 30 seconds or so. There was only one day when it worked without any accident, but in the evening it started happening again.
I don't think it's an issue with my router I'm connected to, because I have PC and Android phone work perfectly fine with my router, without any troubles at all, except my laptop. However, when I turn on wifi-hotspot on my phone and connect to it, it works perfectly great. I also live in an area with only other 2 wifi routers around me, they quite far as well, so it shouldn't be interference issue.
So what I've tried: Disabling "Allow this device to be turned off to save power" thing; reinstalling/upgrading/downgrading/disconnecting wifi driver followed by laptop reboot; different combinations of commands like ipconfig /flushdnsnetsh int ip resetnetsh winsock reset, etc. also followed by laptop reboot; Windows upgrade from 8.1 to 10; on router side: changing wifi channel, rebooting, turning off and on; and some other stuff I've forgotten, because there were a lot of actions.
What are the possible solutions to that unique problem? Is my laptop... aging?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just want to post back, in case if anybody is facing the same problem as I'm. Before doing factory reset I thought maybe there's something I can do before it. And I come up with the idea that back then I had a stronger wifi signal, and I thought maybe I have to update a network driver adapter again(which I had done already before writing my question here). And turns out it was the right strategy! Now, 3 weeks later everything works quite well. I still have sudden drops, but they occur once in a few days and not in a few minutes as it used to be.
So, if you have a Realtek RTL8723BE wifi adapter, and you run Windows 10, you could try installing a new network driver or like in my case, reinstalling the current one followed by rebooting. And you should probably wait for some time to ensure if it works or not. The driver that worked for me was named "Realtek RTL8723BE 2023.40.801.2016 developed in 29.08.2016". If your wifi signal got stronger - it's a great sign!
Hope it'll help somebody out 😉

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mk96
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays.
  5. Wireless Module Test - This test checks that the BIOS detects the wireless module and that it is enabled.

To run the test, click the Wireless Module, and then click Run once.

• The Wireless Module Test takes 30 seconds to complete.

If the test passes, try these steps:

Reinstall the network adapter using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 8, 10)

Reinstall original software or drivers using the HP Recovery Manager. If your PC does not locate the Recovery Manager installed, click the ‘next step’ button below.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager. If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.
  2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.
  3. From the combined list of applications and drivers, with the drivers listed first, select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall. NOTE: The name of the adapter varies, depending on which one is installed on your PC.
  4. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.
  5. Close all open applications, restart your computer, then try connecting to the Internet again.

Set BIOS default and restart:

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

After your computer has restarted once in Windows test your wireless connectivity. Try connecting to the Internet again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for coming to the party 🙂

So, as you suggested going to hardware diagnostics after turning off my laptop. I didn't find Wireless Module Test in there. There were only 4 points: memory test, hard drive check, language, exit, and not a single sign of wireless module test.

Although I checked if I have HP Recovery Manager at all, and turns out, I don't have it on my laptop. Also, I didn't find a way to install it from the HP site.

Retting BIOS to default didn't help as well.

Things are getting interesting, hah? 😉

HP Recommended

@mk96

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try Microsoft system restore:

System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

You can also undo a System Restore if the restore does not resolve the issue or if the issue becomes worse.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you mean "Restore your computer when Windows starts normally" point from that link? If so, there is only 1 recovery point which I created myself before doing bios reset, so I don't think it's going to help me. Any other options?

HP Recommended

@mk96

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just want to post back, in case if anybody is facing the same problem as I'm. Before doing factory reset I thought maybe there's something I can do before it. And I come up with the idea that back then I had a stronger wifi signal, and I thought maybe I have to update a network driver adapter again(which I had done already before writing my question here). And turns out it was the right strategy! Now, 3 weeks later everything works quite well. I still have sudden drops, but they occur once in a few days and not in a few minutes as it used to be.
So, if you have a Realtek RTL8723BE wifi adapter, and you run Windows 10, you could try installing a new network driver or like in my case, reinstalling the current one followed by rebooting. And you should probably wait for some time to ensure if it works or not. The driver that worked for me was named "Realtek RTL8723BE 2023.40.801.2016 developed in 29.08.2016". If your wifi signal got stronger - it's a great sign!
Hope it'll help somebody out 😉

HP Recommended

@mk96

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.