Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-da1023nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, 

I have a problem after connecting a bluetooth headset to my HP notebook, it uses the RTL8821CE network card.

So after connecting the headphones ( Sony WH-CH 500 ) my bandwidth drops form 50Mbit/s to about 10-15Mbit/s and I also see spikes in latency to my WiFi router which is 3m away.

My WiFi is 2.4GHz only, and I know that WiFi and bluetooth will interfere since they operate on the same frequency but am I wrong to assume that I should be able to use WiFi and bluetooth at the same time and not have to deal with this problem?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

My notebook is a:

- Intel i5-8265u

- BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.22, 28/08/2019

- WiFi Network Driver  2024.0.10.212, 12/03/2020 (DEVICE MANAGER INFO)

- Bluetooth Driver 1.7.1021.3000, 19/11/2019 (DEVICE MANAGER INFO)

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@eldin1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You should be able to use wifi and Bluetooth at the same time with no issues. 

Refer to this document to know how to connect a Bluetooth device. To resolve any Bluetooth connectivity issues, click here.

Update the BIOS

Click here to download the latest version.

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar

I have a newer BIOS than the one you suggested. I'm also using the HP support assistant and have no pending updates, thus I assume I already have all the newest drivers installed.

What I noticed is that only when actively listening to music the network bandwidth drops significantly. If the headphones are only connected without listening to music wifi performance is more or less normal but when starting any audio playback performance drops.

If you need more information please ask. I can also record the problem if you are able to escalate the issue.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@eldin1

Let us run a test on the hardware components of the PC to check the functionality.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. Perform System Test > Extensive test. Share the result on your next post.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

There is only a "memory test" and "hard drive check" I don't see any extensive test. 

If these are of any help I will start them, otherwise I would rather not leave them running for a couple of hours.

HP Recommended

I also installed HP Hardware Diagnostics and ran the HW System test (extensive).

eldin1_0-1593718925730.png

I can send you detailed logs on a private email or some other place without public access.

HP Recommended

@eldin1

Was the Bluetooth and wifi working fine before?

Were there any hardware or software changes made to the computer?

Try these steps:

1. Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2. Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices are using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3. Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4. Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.