Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Wifi not working on closing the lid on HP Pavilion-ab516tx Realtek RTL8723BE Wifi Adapter

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion ab-516tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have just bought a HP-Pavilion-ab-516tx laptop. Whenever I close the laptop lid, I lose the wifi connectivity.

I have checked Power Settings to make sure wifi adapter remains enabled at all times. Have also gone to Control Panel --> network and sharing --> change adapter settings --> right click on connected wifi network ---> properties --> configure --> power management --> untick allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Neither of these has fixed the problem.

Would like to use the laptop with lid closed by pluggin it through my TV via HDMI cable, but can't because of the loss of wifi.

Any response is appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,234 41,482 4,528 11,903
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What you do is go back to the Power options and  click on" change what closing the lid does".

Select do nothing and then save that change.  I just tested it with my product loan Spectre 13 and it worked. The ultrabook did not shut down and it maintained wireless contact with my home router.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I follwed your steps but the problem is still there.

Or is there a way to keep the screen "on" on closing the lid because I think that the power to the wifi antenna has  something to do with the power going intp the screen.

Please tell me if am right or wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,234 41,482 4,528 11,903
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@skumbhare013 wrote:

I follwed your steps but the problem is still there.

Or is there a way to keep the screen "on" on closing the lid because I think that the power to the wifi antenna has  something to do with the power going intp the screen.

Please tell me if am right or wrong.

As long as you have made and saved the change, the screen should still be on.

If the notebook is on a home wireless network you can ping it from another PC to see if it returns the ping.

Are you familiar with the command line Ping command? Use ther ipconfig command to get the notebook's IPv4 address.

You could also get the IPv4 address of the notebook and use a wifi scanner app from a mobile phone to see if it is stil l broadcasting. 

I will give that a try as well and let you know. It does work. With the screen settings I suggested when the notebook is closed, it is still active on wireless and still on.

I used a phone app from Google Play called Wifi Analyzer by farproc. Click on  More-->Tools and then LAN neighbors. It will show the IP address, the name of the notebook and its wifi adapter.  

Since we know that it will still be on when the display is closed, it is important to not forget when you have it turned on. If you forget, it will drain the battery if the power adapter is not connected.  😉

The wifi antenna is actually located around the screen.  Closing it does change the orientation of the antenna even.

You asked me to tell you if you were wrong.  The answer to that is yes.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation