Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-ae100 C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I've had my laptop for 3 years now, but recently starting from about a month or so ago my internet speed would randomly drop A LOT. This is most noticeable when i play games or download games. I recently ran a speed test and got the results of 10ms ping, 2.48Mbps download and 2.73 Mbps upload speed. But the main thing is, if i simply restart my computer, the speed magically becomes normal and i more or less have the 50/50 internet speed that i pay for, i've only discovered that restarting my computer fixes this, i haven't found any other solutions. But even after i restart, after a random amount of time passes, my wifi speed goes back to being extremely slow. I've thought about refreshing my laptop but i have a lot of important files and software that would take a while to put back onto my laptop. I was wondering if there's any other troubleshooting methods that I could try to solve this issue. From what i can tell, this is only happening to my specific laptop computer and not any other devices in my house. Other devices in my house include iphones and ipads which almost always run perfectly and im pretty sure my sister has never had internet speed issues on her macbook unless there was actually something wrong with our router. For my internet service, i pay for 50/50 speeds from Verizon Fios and i am using a Verizon router. Hardwiring my laptop to my router would defeat the purpose of having the laptop, and my router is in an uncomfortable location to be next to it. My house also has a network extender provided by Verizon. I would love to hear any possible solutions anyone could bring me or let me know if im missing out on providing any information.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Muazinator

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-ae100 series laptop. I read that the wireless connection is slow and drops. But if you restart the laptop, the wifi connection appears to be normal. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• When was the last time the wifi connection worked fine on the laptop?
  • Did any software changes or updates take place on the laptop post which this issue may have started?

I recommend you to perform the steps from this HP document which helps in fixing slow internet issues and other wifi connectivity issues. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I don't perfectly recall when my laptop would get perfect wifi connection but it was roughly 1-2 months ago. I also don't recall any specific updates or software changes to my laptop that caused this network issue. I may try contacting my ISP about this issue that i am having. I'm not sure but would having a network extender and a router in my house make my laptop deal with conflicting connections?I also have another question about my hp laptop if you would indulge me on it. This problem that just started recently for me is whenever i plug headphones into my laptop's headphone jack i hear a lot of background static. I've tried multiple headphoes and a headset and i received the issues on them all. I also receive static in my bluetooth headphones and these headphones all work perfectly fine on my phone. Would you know of any solutions to this?

HP Recommended

@Muazinator

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

Do keep me posted about what your ISP says.

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the headphone issue before posting. The evidence clearly points towards the laptop because all headphones work fine. Does this happen when you connect external speakers (if available) also?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to perform the audio troubleshooting. The following steps will help:

• Please download and install the HP audio update.
  • You should restart the laptop once the installation is complete for the changes to take effect. 

Please test the audio and if the issue continues then please perform the steps from the HP audio troubleshooter guide. This guide can help fix various audio related issues. The steps include hardware test on the audio. 

Hope this helps. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

When i tried the HP audio update link you gave me, the page that I'm led to gives me this error: 

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72643.exe might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_FTP_FAILED

When i tried audio troubleshooter guide and went through the steps on the audio troubleshooter, it didn't really give me any solutions to fix my static problem. It told me to disable any enhancements on my device, but I don't have any and then it just told me my audio volume was low. But increasing my audio volume didn't solve the issue at all, it just made the background static more apparent. One thing to note is that if some type of audio is being played, then i can hear the static. When there is no audio from any software being played, I don't hear any static at all. If after im listening to something and then stop listening to it, the static drags on for about 5-10 more seconds after the audio stops and then the static stops.
HP Recommended

@Muazinator

Please download and install the update from this link: HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-ae100 CTO (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Support

Thanks and keep me posted! 🙂

HP Recommended

When i go to that link it brings me to the page just fine, but when i try clicking the download link i receive the same error that i mentioned earlier. I also get the error if i click the link for the release notes

HP Recommended

@Muazinator

Hi,

An alternate way to install the drivers is through the HP website link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74867.exe

You may restart the laptop post the installation is complete.

Did your ISP have any suggestions for the slow wifi connectivity?

Also, let me know if the audio troubleshooter guide helped.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

This link worked much better for me, i did the installation and had to restart my computer twice, but so far using my regular wired headphones i don't hear any static. I will probably try my bluetooth headphones later today since i left them at home and i am at my university. I'll try calling my ISP when i get home later tonight and see what they say, but so far thanks so much for the current help that you've provided me!

HP Recommended

@Muazinator

Glad to know that this link worked fine. 

Sure, take your time to test it further and let me know. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.