Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G3
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi,

I've a HP 250 G3 with Win 8.1. I regularly use it with my home wireless.

Now, I was using it for some streaming and suddendly it was dead. The wifi icon gone.

Only the Ethernet available under Network Connections, no wifi.

Checking the Device Manager, no more wireless under the Network Adapter.

I tried to reinstall all drivers, search for New HW under the Device Manager, cleaned the config via Regedit: nothing seems to work. Just disappeared.

Even scanned the PC for malware, but no threats found (even though the virus DB was not today's but just few days old).

Shall I consider an HW failure only at this stage?

Thanks to anybody for hints.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

This is not a Hardware issue. Click on the below link and try this fix. This is a thread I made on Microsoft community.

Internet Fix

Thanks & Regards,
Emmanual Nebu

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi Emmanual,

Thank you for your help. I just tried your second recommendation straight away.

Unfortunately, it did not work as I got the response to regedit "Error: impossible to find the registry key or the specified value" (my own translation).

That makes sense, as manually checking the registry does not show the value 988248f3 in the entire registry, and in particular in the given path.

I noticed that you refer to migration to Win 10, while I'm on Win 8.1, maybe this is the reason?

Thank you for your suggestions,

polso

HP Recommended

Is your wifi adapter showing up now??

If not, do you have any VPN clients installed on the system?

Thanks & Regards,
Emmanual Nebu

☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
HP Recommended

No, nothing appears anew, as the action was stopped due to the error I mentioned there was no change done.

And no, I never installed a VPN.

Thank you,

polso

HP Recommended

Do you have something called Avast Secure line installed on the sys?

Thanks & Regards,
Emmanual Nebu

HP Recommended

Nope. No vpn installed, and I use another antivirus (that begins with A as well).

HP Recommended

Solved. It was a defective wireless adaptor.

Thanks a lot for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.