Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion G7 1260us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Internet connectivity on this laptop is now only available through hardwire LAN/Ethernet cable. I would like your help to restore WiFi capability.

The F12 switch on keyboard remains off (orange) and will not cycle to on (green).

Ralink Radio model RT5390 (presumed WiFi hardware as indicated in Laptop battery compartment) does not appear in Device Manager.

WiFi connection is okay on other devices (both computer and phone).

All was functioning okay on July12, 2017 - but computer was running on battery and went into low power mode. Subsequently, in the Device Manager under Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, on the "power management" tab,  I have unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device."

On 8/11/17, Norton/Symantec ran remote diagnosis/clean-up on computer. Restore points are now only available for after 8/11/17.

Your help is appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @MizterZ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with Wireless connection not working on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Recommend you to do a right-click on the Windows button and open device manager. 

On the device manager window, expand Network adapters and check if the wireless adapter is listed. 

Right-click on the wireless adapter and Enable it (if it is disabled)

Also, right-click on the wireless adapter again and update drivers. 

To get the network icon on the taskbar. 

Right-click on the Windows button. 

Select Control panel.

On the Control panel Window. (On the right side top of the control panel, click on View by category and change it to small or large icons)

Select notification icons. 

On the bottom of the notifications window, you will have an option to change System icons on or off.

There you have an option to Select which icons appear on the taskbar. 

Enable network icon there. 

Alternately, open network and sharing center by doing right-click on the network icon the taskbar. 

On the network and sharing center screen, select the option on the left - change adapter settings.

This would display the network adapters on the computer. 

Right-click on the wireless adapter and check if it is enabled and try to connect to your network. 

You can also run the network troubleshooter available in the control panel. 

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
The wireless adapter does not appear in device manager or in sharing center. Network trouble shooter thinks everything is okay. I tried to reinstall the wireless adapter using recovery but it comes up with an exclamation point. None of these solutions have worked.
HP Recommended

Hi @MizterZ,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. 

Meanwhile, follow below steps and check if it helps.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here 

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet_singh - I was not able to run as an administrator even though my profile is set as an administrator.Temp_Admin.PNG

HP Recommended

I continue to look thru the posts on this forum to see if anybody is making progress on the recent wireless connectivity issue and I just saw this:

the only way to fix it on the as of now new a6 7310 notebook is as follows- TYPE "device manager" into windows (10) search bar- SCROLL to "network adapters"-SELECT "realtek rtl8723be''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' wifi adapter" (which is the route cause of the problem)-RIGHT CLICK and "update drivers" use the internet to find and auto install option and thats it.

You are welcome to try that and see what improvement you see and post back on the forum

HP Recommended

Device Manager - Ralink Radio not hereDevice Manager - Ralink Radio not here

I have run the TCP/IPI reset and the winsock catalogue reset. Still - the WiFi device does not show up in Device Manager.

HP Recommended

The most up dated driver is installed

Driver.JPG

Still - no solution.

HP Recommended

I have just run Hardware Diagnostic from the BIOS. I pushed ESC on start up and then F2. Checked for COMPONENTS and it shows "WIRELESS MODULE NOT INSTALLED"

A. I don't know how that would happen when it was functioning fine previously to this problem and I didn't open the laptop to remove the device.

B. Why that wasn't one of your suggested remedies before we tried other methods?

I await your reply.

HP Recommended

Go to Device manager > select the WIFI drivers under network adapter> Right click go to properties  > Under properties go to Power Management Tab> Uncheck  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.