Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DM4 QA702AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As per Intel my the wireless card came with my DM4, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 is not compatible with Windows 10 which prevents me from enabling the Wifi. I get orange light 0n F12 permanently.

I would like to know what replacement card options are considered compatible with this laptop.

My BIOS is InsydeH20 version F.0C

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the list of supported wlan cards in the service manual for your notebook, none seem very promising.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03318732

If I had to take a chance on one, I would go for this one...

Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter   HP Part # 657325-001

Changing wireless cards in HP notebooks made before 2014 is nothing short of a nightmare.

There is a BIOS whitelist, which prevents any wireless card not listed in the service manual for the PC from working.

The PC won't even boot up until the unsupported wlan card is removed.

The next problem is some of the part numbers listed in the service manual are incorrect.

For example, the Intel 6230 listed has the wrong part #, and no one knows what the right one is (or if the 6230 is even supported).

What I would do if I were you, would be to find a used but tested and working wlan card on eBay.

Query by the part number and check the picture in the listing to be sure you see the part number listed on the white sticker that is labeled 'Replace with HP Spare.'

I'm seeing the Broadcom card I referenced going for as low as $4.35 + shipping from Hong Kong.

They are slightly more expensive if you want one that is located in the USA.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the list of supported wlan cards in the service manual for your notebook, none seem very promising.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03318732

If I had to take a chance on one, I would go for this one...

Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter   HP Part # 657325-001

Changing wireless cards in HP notebooks made before 2014 is nothing short of a nightmare.

There is a BIOS whitelist, which prevents any wireless card not listed in the service manual for the PC from working.

The PC won't even boot up until the unsupported wlan card is removed.

The next problem is some of the part numbers listed in the service manual are incorrect.

For example, the Intel 6230 listed has the wrong part #, and no one knows what the right one is (or if the 6230 is even supported).

What I would do if I were you, would be to find a used but tested and working wlan card on eBay.

Query by the part number and check the picture in the listing to be sure you see the part number listed on the white sticker that is labeled 'Replace with HP Spare.'

I'm seeing the Broadcom card I referenced going for as low as $4.35 + shipping from Hong Kong.

They are slightly more expensive if you want one that is located in the USA.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thanks for the super fast response.

I was considering going with  Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260 where I have the option of getting it from Amazon for approx $24 and return if it doesnt fly.  Do you have any ideas on this cards compatibility with the unit?

I can see that the Broadcomm card you are referring to being available under $20 through amazon, however no return option. If you don't think the Intel card I refer to above has a chance,  I might have to take a chance and try it from ebay..

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome

The Intel 7260 has absolutely no chance of working in your PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help Paul.  I will give broadcomm a try.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know if the Broadcom wlan card worked for you on W10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.