Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
14-b171tu hp pavilion touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

somebody pls help me my touchpad suddenly stopped working i formated the whole pc still then the problem persists, sometimes it start working, sometimes when i move it it just drags that's all, i thought external mouse would work but when i plugged in my pc the external mouse did not work also, but automatically sometimes it start working, but as soon as i take it out and plug it back in, it does not work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@_Sc Welcome to HP Forums Community!

If the external mouse isn't working either, this is most likely a software issue and I suggest you perform the below steps to resolve the issue:

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.

2.   Click Device Manager.

3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.

4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".

5.   Restart your computer.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@_Sc Welcome to HP Forums Community!

If the external mouse isn't working either, this is most likely a software issue and I suggest you perform the below steps to resolve the issue:

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.

2.   Click Device Manager.

3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.

4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".

5.   Restart your computer.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will try your solution. thnks

HP Recommended

@_Sc Thank you for responding!

Please take your time and get back to us with the results,

We will be eagerly awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a great day, ahead.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry but uninstalling the software did not fix the solution. the touhpad is not working but sometimes it starts working if i restart it then the same issue, external mouse is not working too if the mouse is plugged in for some time it starts working fine sometimes at other time it doesn't work no matter how long i plugged it in. touchpad button are working fine but touch pad is not working, if the touchpad is not working the external mouse should work na, but its not pls help me in this.

HP Recommended

@_Sc
Thank you for posting back,

It looks like a software issue with the touchpad. For now, please try these steps to isolate the failure,

Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
    And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.