Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv7-6163cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've tried 2 different wifi cards now and both were blacklisted, not allowing the laptop to even boot. I have looked at the service manual and seen the options available. The manual lists the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 as one of the options for the dv7 series laptops with an intel processor. However, I tried this one to no avail, even though the model is listed as "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 Wifi...". I guess I got the exact model wrong? Anyway, I want to upgrade my wifi to dual band if possible, so it's capable of using 5Ghz wifi. Bluetooth capability would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Are there any options available for this that will actually work in my laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there aren't any internal dual band wifi adapters you can upgrade to in that model series.

As you found out, the Intel 6230 is not supported and the HP part number listed is the wrong part number.

Your only dual band option would be to purchase an external USB nano AC wifi adapter.

They make some models that are very small nowadays where they hardly stick out of the USB port, such as this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&q...

HP came to their senses, and removed the BIOS whitelists when the dv6/7-7xxx model series came out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there aren't any internal dual band wifi adapters you can upgrade to in that model series.

As you found out, the Intel 6230 is not supported and the HP part number listed is the wrong part number.

Your only dual band option would be to purchase an external USB nano AC wifi adapter.

They make some models that are very small nowadays where they hardly stick out of the USB port, such as this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&q...

HP came to their senses, and removed the BIOS whitelists when the dv6/7-7xxx model series came out.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I was trying to avoid an external usb adapter. Why are so many internal wifi models blacklisted by HP? I am just trying to understand what the reasoning is for doing this?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

We don't know for sure and HP won't divulge that info, but it must have had something to do with the FCC SAR testing requirements for wireless equipment.

Here is the link to the regs which state in substance that OEM's have to SAR test the wireless equipment and...When applying the modular approach, the host manufacturer or OEM integrator must ensure the transmitters and modules are each qualified for incorporation into the host device.

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=u%2BFlQhsdXkOhbjYvIX0peA%3D%3D&desc=616217%20D04%20SA...

So, the way I interpret this document...any of us who upgrade wifi cards could be breaking the law unless we SAR test the equipment we installed to make sure it passes muster.

This is just my opinion of course, but it is possible that HP instituted the BIOS whitelist to reduce/eliminate any lawsuits that arise regarding this matter.  For example, someone installs an untested wifi card, gets brain cancer from excessive SAR exposure, and tries to sue the manufacturer who knew or should have known of the potential for health risks, but did not institute any safeguards to prevent the installation of untested wireless equipment.

Then again...why did HP remove the BIOS whitelists in subsequent models?

Why did other manufacturers such as Dell, not institute such a restriction?

Lenovo also had whitelists, as did some other PC manufacturers.

We will never know for sure, but I would bet it has something to do with this regulation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.