Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion g6-2221tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My wifi card is getting overheated(like hot pan) and is not getting detected in the machine. Tried installing drivers from hp site and also default win 10 wifi drivers, nothing helps.

Looking for a fix. If I have to buy a new wifi card, what are the compatible model for my machine?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no fix that I know of.

That model wifi card does not work well with W10 if it works at all.

You should be able to replace the card with this model...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847353811.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.71893c7bB0plJT&algo_pvid=...

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul for your solution.  will change the card. But why the card gets overheat, is it driver compatibility issue or hardware problem? Any idea.

In the original Ralink adapter, all the components(diodes, microprocessors) are enclosed inside an outer case, but in this new adapter, some parts are exposed. will it be compatible with my laptop model? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, that I do not know, but I have seen several other posts from other forum members that have reported the same overheating issues with that model card as well as other Ralink model cards, and not just on W10.

The original card may have a white plastic label covering it but a card with the circuitry exposed will be fine.

That probably doesn't help with the heat dissipation as it traps all the heat from the components inside the covering.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.