Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP laptop Model 14-df0023ci network card reinstall
Microsoft Windows 11

After upgrade from window 10 to window 11 a few months ago.  I noticed my local network card would not work this week.  It shows working normally, but when connect to the network with cable, it will show not connected.  So I tried download updated driver(say was already the latest driver, but reinstalled driver anyway).  But still the same.  So I un-installed the network in the device manager.  After that I am unable to re-install the network.  It does not show in the device manager anymore.  The only place I could see something on it is in the setting/network&internet/hardware connection property/   says name: Local Area Connection* 8, Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, status: no operational, connectivity:Disconnected.  Not sure why it say as a Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter(it should be a wired adapter) , but it does show two Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter and Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter2 on the device manager.  but are saying working properly.  currently only shows wi-fi and bluetooth adapter on the network adapter list.

Any help in bring network card back would be appreciated.

Regards,  James H.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello @James_Huang 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2) Start Windows <Device Manager>

- Expand <Network adapters>

--->>> Send screenshot

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

James_Huang_0-1664133429628.png

James_Huang_1-1664133456422.pngJames_Huang_2-1664133489003.png

HP Recommended

Hello @James_Huang 

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2Download and install BIOS Update

HP Notebook System BIOS Update

F.47 Rev.A33.2 MBSep 26, 2019Download

Why should you install the update ?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4123786-2338478-16

Quote: "

Updating the BIOS is recommended as standard maintenance of the computer. It can also help resolve the following issues:

• An available BIOS update resolves a specific issue or improves computer performance.
      • The current BIOS does not support a hardware component or a Windows upgrade.
      • HP Support recommends installing a specific BIOS update.

"

(3Reboot

(4Let BIOS be installed until it's completely done !

(5Download and install / update

HP Consumer Desktop / Notebook PC ME Firmware Update

01 Rev.A7.7 MBJul 24, 2018Download

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

10.23.1003.2017 Rev.A10.3 MBMar 23, 2018Download

(6Reboot Windows

(7Test your notebook

(8Please report your results

HP Recommended

Show hidden device on device manager:

James_Huang_0-1664135353159.png

HP Recommended

Hello @James_Huang 

Did you install ?

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

HP Recommended

After download the bios update, try to start the app, got this pop up message:

James_Huang_0-1664136084353.png

HP Recommended

Hello @James_Huang 

Check BIOS settings if LAN is <enabled>

HP Recommended

I installed the driver fine before I uninstalled the adapter.  but now if I try to install the driver, I will get the following message:

James_Huang_0-1664137178427.png

HP Recommended

I was able to get into the bios setting.  found network boot was disabled.  after enable it and restart the laptop, I am able to see the local network adapter again.  Thanks! 

But I am back to the original issues that when I plug cable to a network , the adapter status will show not connected.  Since the network cable connection was working before the upgrade to window11, so I believe it is related to the upgrade.  Wonder if you could help further troubleshoot this.

Thanks!  James

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.