Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is a dumb question but I hope an easy one...

where do I look in my notebook to find out if my notebook is able to get 5Ghz wi fi? 

I have an HP probook 4530s, and it is old by notebook standards. But i want to be sure I can't get the 5 ghz wi fi.  As far as my router goes, the faster wi fi doesn't even show up but I guess it would not if my notebook is not equipped to use it.

I also have windows 7 pro, 64 bit. 

Second question: Is there a way to get an adapter so my notebook could get that speed? For example, years ago one could get an external modem. 

Thanks I appreciate the help,

Gina 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mrg553

Probook 4530s is a series of many models/products over few years. One quick way to look at it is

(a) Open Device Manager,

(b) Expand Network adapters,

(c) Look at the wifi entry.

Depending on when the machine was built, you may be able to replace the wireless card.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mrg553

Probook 4530s is a series of many models/products over few years. One quick way to look at it is

(a) Open Device Manager,

(b) Expand Network adapters,

(c) Look at the wifi entry.

Depending on when the machine was built, you may be able to replace the wireless card.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks that was soooo helpful.

Probook that I have has a qualcomm adapter 801... b/n/g sorry if I got the letters transposed but you get the idea. I don't think this will support the 5Ghz but, maybe I can upgrade the adapter. 

Last year I got a 1T hard drive, a good hard drive too. I also upgraded the memory gig and this notebook is so good.  Given that, plus that i really like window 7 pro 64b, I am not sure whether to get upgrades. On one hand I really would like a new notebook for a whole lot of reasons, the processor speed and updating wi fi as such. But then, I put money into it and i like windows 7 and boy what I read about windows 10 is enough to make your hair stand on end.

My battery does run hot, too. That, too, is a replacement. 

Any thoughts? As you can see, I am not one to just change every year...

thanks so much finding that info was a breeze

Gina 

HP Recommended

Heads up all!

I'm sure everyone is aware of this, but twice in this question very fast I got notices of "private messages" and they say to to call HP tech support -- but there was no icon, the one that you see from HP so you know. I don't know if those messages are bogus but be careful there are all kinds of scammers. 

Gina 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.