Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 13-4014TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I have a Spectre X360 (13-4014TU)  that runs the Intel i7-5500U , 256GB ADATA SSD, 8Gb RAM and Win 10-64. It is a great little unit and has become my main work horse for my business.

As I am running out of Disk space, I wanted to upgrade the SSD to 512GB but I have noticed that Intel have launched a 540S Series 1tb M.2 drive for a little bit more than the cost of the Samsung 512gb  unit.

However, I want to know if the upgrade will work before I invest the $ required. The two questions that I can't get an answer to are:

1. The intel unit is double sided. Its thickness is 3.58mm  compared to the 2.32mm thickness for single sided SSD - WILL IT FIT in the X360 ssd gap?

2. Will the  BIOS of the x360 address the 1tb memory? The x360 has the F.32 BIOS running on the 802D 58.51 system board.

Has anyone else experienced fitting a 1tb to an X360? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Frank

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @FrankJ1,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the upgrade issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you would like to upgrade to a 1-TB SSD.

Based on the following guide, here are the compatible SSD upgrades for your notebook:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible PC (model numbers used: 13t-4200 through 4299) - Maintenance and Service... (Chapter 1, Page 1).

Support for single PCIe / SATA M.2 solid-state drive configurations as storage (scope M.2 2280 DS solidstate drive) in the following configurations:

● 1-TB PCIe NVMe solid-state drive supporting multi-level cell (MLC)

● 512-GB PCIe NVMe solid-state drive supporting triple-level cell (TLC)

● 256-GB PCIe NVMe solid-state drive supporting TLC

So the SSD should be compatible, however, I have not seen any information as far as the size. 

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks SDF15,

This is most helpful.

Now the manual states that the 1tb drive should be 

1-TB PCIe NVMe solid-state drive supporting multi-level cell (MLC)

but the Intel 1tb SSD supports  TLC.

Not that I understand what the MLC and TLC abbreviations, even though I have read the descriptions many times.

So will the Intel 1tb with TLC work in the X360 and do I need to make any chanegs in the BIOS SETUP or changes at Boot setup to accommpdate the NVMe ?

Thanks

FrankJ1

HP Recommended

Hello @FrankJ1,

Thank you for the quick reply!

If the information is not listed in the Service Guide, then the SSD may not be supported.

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thanks,
I agree. I think I will go back to the 512gb SSD.
The Samsung SM951 looks interesting.

Thank you again for your help.
Best regards

Frank
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.