Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I got the brand spanking new late 2016 spectre with kabhylakes, everything is great until I charged it to full and then turned on the laptop the next day at work. 100% battery turned to 89%, that's mroe than 10% in 24 hours!!!

I tried all the basic procedures that the other forum/people have mentioend to fix it:

disabled usb charge in bios, turned off rapid/quick start, turned computer completely off.

it is still 8%-11% drain in a span of 15 hours when the computer is OFF

I have never heard or seen something like this before, HP seem to want to blame that it is a windows 10 update issue, but how is that possible when the problem is "battery drain when the computer is off", this seem like a hardware issue to me. Whether it is the bios setting or battery itself I do not know, something is draining it or the battery is faulty.

I tested the battery using the built in OS battery test and it passed OK with no issues and 100% charge, same with the bios version of the battery test both came out as great. Please provide some solutions hp!

HP Recommended

Hi

Did you get any update on this? any resolution?

I recently purchased the hp spectre x360 kaby lake 13 late 2016 model. It is an awesome looking laptop, except for the issue that has been repeatedly mentioned on the forum here.

I already had the first replaced for battery concern. It has exactly the same issue as addressed here. More than 10% battery drain when the system is properly shutdown (ideally means no power) over night which is less than 24hrs on the shelf! Yes, the win 10 fast boot is off and no usb device plugged in or used. At this rate the system would loose full power in few days, let alone a week or more!! This issue has nothing to do with power management options as the batter drain is when the system is turned off (menu > shutdown). This has never been the case with any win 10 laptops i have used in the past at work and personally.

The hp support assistant has a utilities test for battery which goes on for a min or so, which says 'OK' as you would expect on a brand new laptop, but i am sure that test doesn't cover the issue all customers are facing with the battery drain when system is powered off via menu shutdown.

I have spoken to customer service about this, and told them i see the same issue on the replacement as well. Same discharge rate of more than 10% in less than 24 hours! I should be getting a call from Tech support, not sure if they will have any better answer, but at the moment the customer service team has no knowledge of whether the issue is due to a software (BIOS, Driver) or hardware(motherboard, battery) defect!

I am hoping that it is a software issue, because i love typing on this laptop, and all the aspects of it except for the battery drain while shutdown, which is killing every goodness in the machine.

Would be really nice if some one from HP can clear the air for the spectre x360 kabylake 13 customers.

Regards

HP Recommended

Interesting, so if all of you guys who has problems can run these two commands from Command Prompt (Windows key+X, then click on Run Commmand Promp admin)

powercfg /batteryreport

powercfg /energy

It'll generate 2 reports into your (default) c windows system32 folder as htmls

Ithe first report shows you your battery report and the 2nd shows you more interesting stuff as the computer usage.

One thing caught my eye: 

"Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer."

Since our laptops uses the relatively new m.2 ssd, as well as NVME capability maybe this is a hardware issue. At least upon some basic research it shows this Management being disabled have an affect on battery life of the computer as least when it is on. Could someone from HP tech look into this?

Rest of you guys who has the same issue should also try generate the report and then paste your findings here. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, brand new Sprectre x360 model W023DX.  

Battery drains 0.5% per hour while shutdown.  I did a test today putting the laptop into the sleep mode.  Over a 16 hour period it drained at a rate of 0.25% per hour, half of the drain experienced while the laptop was shutdown.

I am waiting for a solution from HP.  FYI I did a 27+ hour test also with my wife's Surface Pro 3 - it showed ZERO per cent loss.  Over same period the X360 went from 100% to 84%.  X360 runs Windows 10 Pro, the Surface also runs Windows 1- Pro

HP Recommended

With all of the solutions that I have applied on this thread, I'm getting around 9.5 to 10.5 hours with my battery, however... my issue like many others, is that this HP laptop drains while the laptop is completely shut down. 

I have noticed that if I remove my wireless mouse USB, it reduces the amount of drain significantly when powered down. This is still not acceptable, as I shouldn't have to always remove my wireless mouse USB when I want to shut down.

I wish the HP support guru's on this forum would step up and take the initiative to bring this well known/well document issue to HP’s technical support engineers and have a solution developed to address this once in for all. This is totally unacceptable. 

HP Recommended

Hi

I have battery drain of about 10% overnight consistently. This is the case when the fast boot on win 10 is turned off, and also with no active USB terminals.

The Tech support came back to me asking me to hold the power button pressed for 10 to 15 seconds after shutdown, i was told this was to flush any static charge on the laptop, followed by calibrattion of the battery by draining it and charging it for 3 cycles. Did all this and literally had no impact.

I am sure every device of the spectre x360 has this issue. And also i think the PCIE ASPM is not related to the battery drain, i have looked a this setting, and many forums say this was also the case on older laptops of other brands, and did not affect the batter with any drain on shutdown.

I also noticed QA issues with screen bezel especially when moving the lid back and forth switching between laptop and tablet mode. The issue is botton corners of the bezel, i first noticed on the lower left corner, there was a clicky movement, and i was able to push the bezel back into the lid with a click.

I have requested for a factory replacement, hope the new built one will have less QA issues. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

HP Recommended

What is the rate of discharge after the 1st 24 hours?   Li-Ion batteries have the greatest self discharge in the first 24 hours so I would expect the discharge rate to drop after this period..  I am testing this now as I have the same battery meter symptoms...  

HP Recommended

The longest period I have tested is 35 hours.  It drained from 100% to 81%, which is an average of 0.55% per hour.  What is really strange is that the drain in Sleep mode was half, a 16.5 hour test where it drained an average of 0.25% per hour.

HP Recommended

Hi guys! I live in sweden. I also have the new HP Spectre kaby lake i5 processor. I just got it a couple of days ago. Noticed after the first night that the laptop draws power when completely turned of. About 0,5 % per hour. After googling I came to this thread. I tried turning of fast boot, but I couldnt find this in my bios anywhere? Instead i turned it of in windows.

This is not something anyone should tolerate and its not acceptable and HP has to step their game up, firstly by having real support joining in on this thread. 

Has anyone tried anything else that worked out?

HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried everything logically possible regarding this.

I am still waiting on a response from HP tech support, after the battery calibration they asked me to do which had no impact.

Talking about the amount of discharge, in over 3 days time drained to 68% from 100% ... very annoying!

From my test and research i can say the following,

It is not a,

- Win 10 fast boot issue

- USB active peripheral issue

- PCIE ASPM related issue

- battery calibration issue

- static charge / discharge issue

I really hope it is something that is fixable via BIOS update. Very strange Sleep mode discharges lot less that when Shutdown - this has to be some buggy power drain when laptop is shutdown.

regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.