Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was getting a failed to load thunderbolt controller error. Reinstalled thunderbolt, ran flash and have charging back.

I suggest running flash in an elevated cmd prompt to see the progress/errors.

HP Recommended
That's great news. Just in case this happens to me at some point, how would I reinstall thunderbolt? I wonder if that would help get the thunderbolt version to display correctly which is an issue that has been reported by others after applying the sphinx fix
HP Recommended

I tried this new update on my one notebook ...

I had to try three times before it took it.

after the update, the pc won't start up without it being plugged in ( well the one didn't )

I charged the laptop to 100% left it for 12 hours, turned it on .. and it was 100%.

Used it for 10 minutes at idle, and the notebook jumped to 94%.

I am running BIOS F11... 

so far it is an improvement.. but for some reason the laptop i flashed even at a higher brightness seems dimmer than the rest.

HP Recommended

Hey everyone, I just figured I'd share my experiences as well. 

I just bought a specture x360 13-w023dx. It was probably at 70 percent battery when I first turned it on, and I charged it up to 100 percent overnight. I unplugged it, turned it on about 5 hours later and it was at 92 percent. Turned off, repeated that process, and it was still at 92 percent. More than 1 percent per hour. 

So, I came on here, read all of the problems, and tried all of the solutions. I saw

1. Updated all drivers through the HP support assistant

2. Updated Windows

3. Went on the HP support website and downloaded the latest drivers. When I went to install them, most of them told me I already had that driver installed, so I skipped it. I think there were two that took the install, I think including the Thunderbolt driver, and Intel Chipset Installation and Utility Driver which were updated on Dec. 5. 

4. Went into Bios and turned off the USB charging. Also turned on the battery option in there where it mentioned displaying an estimate of how much time is left on the battery. 

5. Downloaded both Sphinx fixes: one hosted on HP FTP site and one hosted by someone on Google Docs (much earlier in this thread. I ran the HP one first, using the instructions from the person on Google Docs. The instructions say it should have updated it to v. 14, but when I did the check, it was only v. 13. I installed the one that someone had in the Google Doc. Ran the check again. I was at v. 14. 

6. Turned off computer, unplugged, went to sleep, woke up and it's at 100 percent battery and is now even displaying the time left (currently still at 100%, 16 hr. 20 minutes. All I've done so far is come on here to report my progress. 

I'm not sure which,  (or all) of these steps actually fixed the issue(s). I'm certainly not convinced the issue is totally gone, because I think there have been some people who have noticed that the battery still drains, albeit more slowly. But, I'm happy for now, and will continue to monitor. 

EDIT: I just re-read and corrected 1 thing in my post and the battery has jumped from 100 to 94 percent. It also still seems to estimate 17 hours of life left. I know those estimates are pretty bogus, which was why HP wanted them turned off in the first place. I'm going to let the laptop stream stuff all day just to see how long it lasts...

HP Recommended

With the F.20 firmware+Sphinx , USB charge & Fastboot off, My system went from 88% to 85% in 24hrs.

One thing I find strange is that when I first booted up the laptop it had 82% charge from the factory. I would guess that it had already been in the box for a while and did not have the draining issue otherwise the battery woud have been dead on arrival. This gives me hope that a firmware/software update could possibly fix it.

My laptop after the first bootup and installing all the updates available on Dec 23rd + firmware F.11 had a 15% drain per 24hrs until the Sphinx update and it's been holding at 3% drain per 24 hrs since the Sphinx update.

I hope HP gets this sorted before the 15th as I would like to keep this laptop. 

Also The new version of Sphinx that is floating around is the same as a HP tech uploaded and used during a remote support session. It took two tries before it worked. I think the trick is to apply the Sphinx update while not connected to ac power.

HP Recommended
I just saw another glowing review of this laptop. I sent the editor an email pointing out this issue and the larger issue of hp not responding.
HP Recommended

Here's my experience, had a HP technician look at my machine today remotely via the online chat. I was skeptical of the Sphinx update that had mixed results for users so thought I'd approach HP directly. Will also be calling their Australian support phone number tomorrow.

I bought my x360 13-W032TU (i7 512GB 16GB) in Mid Nov 2016

Have used it only a handful of times since then and noticed the battery drains completely before uses if I leave it for a few days. Definitely not normal, and after reading through all this I think we all share the same disappointment and frustration. All I did myself to try fix it was turn off the USB charging and the fast startup but hasn't worked of course.

The technician updated all the drivers and the BIOS today to F.20 and told me to charge fully then discharge completely and repeat 3 times to calibrate the battery... Will do as I'm told and see what happens. 

If this is not resolved I will be asking HP for a return based on fair trade policy given this product does not meet its intended purposes "for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied".

Has anyone purchased the new model (what specs?) and the battery has been fine??

HP Recommended

I have now tested the USB Charging OFF in BIOS menu, Fast Boot disabled...

Needless to say there is still a 2% drop reported by the Windows Battery Report tool over 12 hours, the exact same as when those two options are set to ON.

This is about as good as it will probably ever get after software/firmware updates.

HP Recommended

So I am leaning on keeping this 13-w023dx X360 due enitrely on the fact that the battery is quite easy to replace if one has the tools and inclination because of the expected additional discharge cycles from constant drain.   I had to open this to stop the trackpad from rattling which requires battery removal.  My performance with the v20 BIOS and Sphinx firmware version 14 is the same as others have reported.   The Sphinx update appears to have reduced the battery drain during shutoff.   However; the battery still appears to drain more than expected while the unit is shut down and/or initially when restarted.  The user guide does say:  "When the computer is off and unplugged from external power, the battery in the computer slowly discharges."  but something is still amiss with this....

HP Recommended

I did a test these last few days with similar speced units.

I used the following...

Hp spectre i5-7200u  (sphnix updated)

and a new laptop i got last week from amazon acer aspire s i5-7200u 

both having 256gb touch screen etc etc.

Both laptops were turned off, and everything BIOS option was set to default ike when you bought the laptop.

I left both laptops off for 3 days..... both charged to 100%

HP after 3 days 82%

Acer 91% 

that to me it is a significant drop on the hp..  few more days off and it would be empty.

for the Cost of the HP you'd expect premium.. but not when customers are beta testers...  

for the cost of the Acer it is more premium in my mind in the battery department, which is very important on laptops

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.