Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Subject is self explanatory.  I have been on the phone with HP approximately 5 times regarding my battery issue.  They feel it is normal for my laptop battery to drain 20% a day (or completely die) when the computer is turned off.

Anyone else have this issue? They have had me test the battery and calibrate the battery yet I still have the same issue.  Today's answer from HP is that this is how the laptop works.....!!!!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello StefHatesHP,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

It would help to know which product and operating system you are using.

For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

I would also suggest reading through these documents in full for an explination of Li-Ion batteries and some steps you can take to increase the life of your battery: 

HP Notebook PCs - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

Improving Battery Performance (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

I am also curious if you have tried a second battery. It is possible for there to be a power leak in your battery or on the motherboard. We would have to test a second battery to be sure of this.

I look forward to your reply!

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have the following computer and operating system:

HP Pavilion 15-n067nr Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Serial Number:   5CD34309WW
Product Number:   E9G57UA                                

Windows 8

After almost two weeks of back and forth with India, HP is finally recognizing there is an issue with this computer.  I will be shipping it back to them by the end of this week to be reviewed.

I am curious if you know what is wrong with this..

HP Recommended

Hey StefHatesHP,

It's really impossible for me to say exactly what's wrong with it, but it is not uncommon for a battery to drain a few percent while powered off. It is not normal for it to drain more than 20% so I agree there is an issue of some sort, and most likely a bad cell, or a power leak in the motherboard or battery. The service department has the correct tools to diagnose this and should be able to fix the problem for you.

Hope your repair goes quickly! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Just got my computer back from HP- they changed out the battery and it did not solve the problem.

Clearly I have to reach out to them again next week but what do you suggest I tell them?  Would it be a powerleak in the motherboard or could it be something different?  I feel that my issue is going to take months to solve due to the language barrier with customer service.  They clearly didn't test the computer to make sure the issue was solved- it seems they took the easy way out by giving me a new battery because they don't understand what else to do.

HP Recommended

Hello StefHatesHP,

I would suggest contacting HP Phone Support again and tell them exactly what you just told me. You sent it in for a power issue, they replaced the battery and the issue persists.

The issue is most likely related to the motherboard if replacing the battery did not work. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Hopefully they can get this fixed for you quickly. 

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

A month later...still having issues- had my motherboard replaced and still suffering from battery loss when the computer is off.

I have been speaking with someone in Mexico (my case manager) and he told me to call the service number included on my return receipt.  After speaking with them (no idea what country they are in), they said HP lithium batteries are supposed to drain when the computer is off...

This doesn't sound right to me - can someone confirm or deny? I cannot be the only person having this issue or feel that I purchased a inferior product.

HP Recommended

Bueller? 

HP Recommended

Sorry you couldnt help but for me being an average tech guy it sounds like the F.22 BIOS is bugged(BIOS date 11/02/2012)

Ladies and gentlemen, our DV6T's will continue to drain to empty when the PC is powered off.   There is no way around it whether you are running 7, 8, or 10.  Obviously its a hardware problem, obviously its the BIOS.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.