Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I also used another ac adpater from another DV6 laptop and experiecne extablty same problems.

The only time I see the charging LED trun orange is during the Setup Battery test. It truns orange for a few seconds only.

Windows 7 alerts me to use a "smart power adpater" for better usuage. Not sure if this is important or not.

HP Recommended

Glentcge,

The issue could possibly be an issue with the charging pin inside the notebook. If you wiggle it does it seem to be loose or pretty sturdy?

If I have been helpful or if you would like to say thank you for me trying to help, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Please respond when you get a chance.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

wiggling does not make a differnce.

HP Recommended

It sounds very much like you are going to need a new battery or a new charger. I would say a battery. If you have the money I would try both. 

Click the Kudos Star!!
HP Recommended

I have already tried another battery and also another charger. It did not make a differnce.

HP Recommended

I also experienced eletctric discharge when I touched the heyboard. Mayeb fault?

HP Recommended

Glentcge,

It is possible; when you are dealing with computers, the unlikely is sometimes very possible.

I am thinking one of two things is causing this issue, there is an issue with the contacts that connect to the battery, or there is an issue with the charging pin within the computer. I have no doubt it is a physical hardware issue, do you know if you are still covered by warranty? If you are unsure, insert your computer information in this warranty check tool.

If I have been helpful or if you would like to say thank you for me trying to help, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Please respond when you get a chance.
Thanks
Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Beware of any advice telling you to "update your BIOS.  I did this and it caused my HP laptop's screen to go black and the computer to not work.  Go online and Google "HP BIOS update" and you'll be frightened to update yours after reading all the nightmares users have experienced.  Just a heads up.

HP Recommended

in the compaq notebook when i plugged in the battery is not charging. how to solve that problem.

HP Recommended

hi,

i also had the same problem, being so busy i forgot to turn my laptop on at the wall and the battery went flat and then when i turned it on it said 0% plugged in not charging i searched for answers and not much helped then i stumbled upon my own fix.

my fix was very simple so i had to share it just took 3 days because i have young children if you sat there all day it would be quicker. I forced shut down by holding the power button down then removed the battery and power cord, leave for as long as you can 10 minutes or even over night. Replug in and put battery in and check the percentage and write this down with the time next to this. Repeat this process force shut down unplug and remove battery leave then turn on after a period of time and rechecheck percentage and time then redo again and again until 100 percent is reached. you can still work on your laptop as you need to while it is still saying plugged in not charging. Just when you are finished remember to force shut down and unplug and remove battery. It took me about 3 days coming and going and overnight etc, at 7 am it was 0 %, 11 am 45 %,next day 74% at 1.52 pm, 75% at 2.02 pm, 77% at 3.21 pm, next day 84% at 5am, 85% at 9.21 am, watched a movie on the laptop and then forced shut down removed battery and power cord and 20 minutes later 100% fully charged time is 3.30 pm. yay so happy i had to share. so remember to repeat the process and hope that this fixes all the problems that plugged in not charging delivers.

good luck happy computing forever.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.