Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had the HP chromebook for about 3 months and the numbers 6,7 letters m,n,u and sometimes random others do not work.  I cannot even log-in since my password contains one of the letters.  So frustrating and I do not think I am the only one.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@TERIRA ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  The only option you have with the chromebook is to perform a Powerwash or factory reset to resolve your keyboard issue.

Powerwash: Performing a Factory Reset on Your HP Chromebook or Chromebox (Chrome OS)

If this does not work or you are not able to do the Powerwash, you will need to contact HP phone support for repair options.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

did te powerwas restore te kes? as o ca tell i avig te sae proble wit  kes

HP Recommended

l am havng the same ssue wth the eys between the comma and the eght/asters.

l was prevously lovng my HP chromeboo but now beyond rrtated!  l use gmal whch maes t near mpossble to log n to ANYthng 've sgned up for.

Please tell me there s a fx that wors.

Ths s what  have already tred to no aval:

- powerwash (multple tmes)

- chrome os recovery

- reset settngs

the only thng that appears to wor occasonally s pushng down on the eyboard when t s n L poston layng on the screen sde (e 45 degree angle from what would be normal poston)

HP needs to fx ths ssue - t seems to be farly common!

HP Recommended

@dew4@TERIRA@tra102,

Thanks for posting back.  If you did a power wash and it did not help your only option is to contact HP support for repair options.

HP Customer Support - Contact

Thanks again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Mine has been doing the same exact thing with the SAME keys. thought it was odd that the same keys on mine werent working, but they are now.. it was frustrating because i had a "7" in my password to login and i would have to press it a billion times just for it to show up once. I think HP fixed the problem though because its working fine now.

HP Recommended

What did you do to make it work?  

actually, the best thing I've found so far is "manhandling" the keyboard a bit - almost doing a twist motion - eventually the keys go back to not working - but at least it seems to prevent the need for 1,000,000 hits to same key!

HP Recommended

Not really helpful since the Chromebook itself was not that expensive - part of why I loved it so much.

HP Recommended

What I finally did was send it back to HP so they could replace the keyboard.  It was still on warrenty however.  Once they replaced the keyboard I have not had anymore problems with "sticky keys."  I like my chromebook and it was inexpensive but they need to work out some of the problems.

HP Recommended

Answer:  if you Restore Settings and do the Powerwash, and still does not fix, your only hope is to call the HP 800 support number, complain and document all the things you did to resolve the issue, then be a pain on the phone and demand that they fulfill their one year warranty to fix the problem.  

(Call 800-474-6836 and have your receipt with you and your Serial number)

We went through it three weeks ago, and did not let them put us on hold and call support to do a Powerwash three times on three different while on the phone, like other customers have experienced... we got a case manager from HP and they overnighted a Fedex Box, we shipped the HP 14 Chromebook, and in two weeks we got it back, working again. They must have replaced the keyboard.   They shipped it both ways for free -- at no cost to me. I was very happy again once I got a case manager who communicated by phone and email.    It would have been easier and cheaper to send us a new Chromebook but that is not what they did.  Ours is a teal HP 14 from December 2014. Bought on Amazon.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.