Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Any one know what to do OR what would be wrong with my computer that will not go past the start up screen? 

Startup Repair will not work.

Starting Windows normally will not work.

BIOS will not work.

Any suggestions?

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

What is the exact model of the notebook?  Please provide the product number as well.

NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

YOu say BIOS will not work.  Do you mean BIOS does not load at all?

On the startup screen, does it show the HP logo with a list of keys to press for various functions?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hii PaiGeaLLyN....

please provide your model number and operating system then only we can provide u with some kind of solution.

does it showed that the bootmngr is missing if so, then you have to install your operating system again.

HP Recommended

I have a similar issue.  I have an HP Pavillion notebook PC, running Windows 7 64bit that I bought a little over two years ago(end of 2010), and it will not go past the windows startup screen with the logo.  It's out of warranty, so I need to find a solution.  When I try every option in F8 it does not work and simply restarts.  I tried repair computer, safe  mode, etc and nothing.  When I try any type of safe mode it just gets stuck at classpnp.sys and then restarts back to the same repair computer or start normally screen after a while.  I've tried the repair computer option and it says loading files and all that, but then I get a blue screen and nothing.  I tried starting normally and it just stays at the start screen with the logo.  I've been trying everthing for almost 2 weeks now because the laptop went down Sunday January 27th 2013.  I even tried changing boot order to start the cd/dvd drive first, then the harddrive, so I could try using a recovery disk, but nothing happens, even though I hear the disk running in the drive(the disk is clean, since I always cllaen my cd's and dvd's).  I'm hoping I won't have to bite the bullet and buy a new one for now.

HP Recommended

@GoodTimes81,

What is the exact model of the notebook?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

Power on the notebook and press f2 about once a second to get a diagnostics menu.  There are various tests here, but I recommend using the run-in test overnight as it is more thorough than the startup test.  If you have the time to run it overnight, use the run-in test and let me know the results.  The startup test doesn't take very long and you can start with it if you prefer as it may provide the answer much faster than the run-in test. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

The model of my notebook is HP G62-358CA Notebook PC.  I've actually tried a few tests that ended up failing, but I do not believe I have done the one you mentioned yet, so I will do it tonight and let you know what happens.

HP Recommended

@GoodTimes81,

If you have tests that have failed, then the run-in test may not be necessary depending on what tests have failed.

Do you happen to know what tests failed and what the failed message was?

Signature
HP Recommended

I do not remember the messages, but I'll run the tests again and write down the messages to let you know tomorrow.

HP Recommended

I thought I'd add that when I run in any safe mode it keeps getting stuck at windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys.  Also before the notebook started doing this mess I shut my computer down fine without an issue, but then about 30 to 40 minutes later when I tried to get back on it just wouldn't go past the windows startup screen with the logo as I said before.  I had been playing a PC game with a usb controller, surfed the web for a little while and then shut it down properly without a problem.

HP Recommended

I did the run-in test and it said memory passed, smart check passed, short dst failed.  I did other tests over again and the memory test passed, but the hard disk test and startup test failed.  I kept getting the same smart check passed, failure ID: U4TT03-59F6HA-XD003F-60VW03(I'm thinking the 0's were zeros, since they looked like they could be either or, so I wrote them here as zeros), the product ID and then it says go to hp.com/go/techcenter/startup.  So basically the run-in test, hard disk test and start-up test's all failed, while the other tests passed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.