Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

That does indicate the HDD has failed.  Sorry.

The HDD will need to be replaced.  If you have the recovery disks for the notebook, you can typically install the original OS and software from them as long as the HDD is at least the same size as the original.  If it is smaller than the original, it may work but some have had hit and miss success with it. 

Should you need the recovery disks, they can be ordered from here

Page 4-8 of this guide details how to replace the HDD. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I was hoping the hard drive wasn't the issue, but somehow knew it would end up being the problem.  I'll just do what I have to do and replace the hard drive.  At least it's only the hard drive, that way I can replace it and hopefully be up and running sooner rather than later and I will not need to replace the entire computer.  I have been looking at hard drives and their prices for the past week or so too, so I know where to get one that is good, but not too expensive.

HP Recommended

Since I will be replacing my hard drive, do you know of any good places to look for one that is cheap as in price, but good when it comes to quality.  I was thinking Future Shop(the store I bought my computer from), Staples or Best buy.  Any other suggestions that I should check out??

HP Recommended

@GoodTimes81,

The store itself isn't really as important as the reputation of the brand going in.  I personally have had good luck with Western Digital, but others have had good luck with other brands as well. 

Make sure to get a HDD that is at least the same size as the one it came with as it seems there are fewer issues with the recovery disks. 

These should work for this notebook. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Oh ok.  I've actually looked at a few Western Digital and Seagate hard drives, and was leaning towards the Western Digital.  The current one in my notebook is a Toshiba, which I see on that list of drives on the site, and it's 500GB, so I'll either get the same or maybe up to a Terabyte.  Thanks for the information.

HP Recommended

@GoodTimes81,

That should work.  Let me know how the HDD replacement goes.

Signature
HP Recommended

Finally found a place to get my Hard Drive.  I kept seeing that the ones I wanted were sold out, but yea I'm going with the Western Digital, and  I am hearing that I may need software, which is not included?  Is the software absolutely necessary and if so do I just go to their site to download it?

HP Recommended

There shouldn't be any software required for it to function as a standard HDD. 

You will need a copy of Windows to install unless you have the HP recovery disks, but nothing special for it to work as a HDD. 

In my experience, any software that was necessary for component to function came with the device. 

Signature
HP Recommended

Oh ok.  Well if all goes well my notebook should be up and running this weekend.  I do have 4 recovery disks that futureshop(the place I bought my notebook from) gave to me.  I paid for them to install and setup the OS and all the software when I first bought the computer and I was given the disks and a disk for my printer.  I also made myself recovery disks about ten months or almost a year later before I sent my computer to HP, while under warranty, to fix a keyboard key that had popped out.  I believe they just put a whole new keyboard in.  I might go with the set of disks I made since they are newer and have files on them that I want to have back.  In any case I'll just post using my computer if it all works out, or regardless of what happens.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You are most welcome. 

If they are actual recovery disks, they will only restore the system to the state it was in when it first came out of the box regardless of when they were made.

You might be able to retrieve files using this guide as long as the HDD has not failed completely. 

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.