Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP, My wife and I both have had problems on our laptops where the keyboard gets stuck in a mode where it does wierd stuff.  

I believe it has to do with resting our wrists on our laptops (our bad).  And some how with our palms touching the keypad plus some key, we enter this mode.  

Today, while replying to an email,  I did it and realized that the Control Key was "stuck on".  I press A and it would select all the text in the email. etc.  

I tried updating the latest keypad driver and that created a whole differentset of problems.  (I am not happy with the keypad driver sw!!!)

I read on the Microsoft forum that pressing both Ctrl keys would clear it. So next time it happens I will try it.  

This is something that HP needs to post about defining the key stroke to get into this problem andthe key stroke to get out of it. 

For us, it requires a reboot to clear this special model. 

Thanks for listening, 

Hank

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
Hey Hank,

The issue you described above (Ctrl + A) is a shortcut to select all the text. Are you sure your not accidentally holding the button down? When you hold the Ctrl key in conjunction with out keys it allows you do shortcuts like cut, copy, paste, etc.

Hope this helps!
Sean
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hey again Hank,

Just wanted to check back to see if you were still incountering the problem. Let me know if you have any questions or have no resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have had this issue as well and quite frequently.  I am not sure what precipitates it but the only thing that seems to 'fix' it is to restart my computer and it is very irritating and frustrating.  It seems like the control key is stuck on.  Anything that I do it acts as if the control button is being hit and I am very sure that it is not.

HP Recommended

It sounds like you have sticky keys turned on. Go into your control panel and select "Ease of Access".

Under the "Ease of Access Center" you should see "Change how your keyboard works." Select that.

Now under that, you should see an option for "Sticky Keys". Go ahead and make sure that is unchecked.

Hope that helps!

Signature
HP Recommended

I am having this same problem. It appears to me that updates are trying to download and during that time is when my control key is stuck and I can only type in all caps or it doesn't allow me to move around.  Eventually it unsticks itself.  I looked at the sticky key option under Ease of Access and it was not checked.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello bruezzy,

You’re having a problem that the control key is sticking.

Go into device manager and uninstall the keyboard and restart the computer.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver that controls the keyboard.

Here is a link that will show you how to get to and use device manager.

Also reset BIOS defaults.

This is what lets the software on the computer talk to the hardware.

• Turn off the computer
  • As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
  • Press F9 to load defaults
  • Press F10 to save and exit

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

If everything was recently working correctly, you might try a system restore.

This will take the computer back to a time that everything was working correctly without affecting any of your files.

Here is link to a restore.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

My EliteBook 8560p gets in the locked control key mode all the time.  Even the most moderate pressure on the palm rest will send the computer in to this mode.  i'm absolutely not touching the keys when this happens.  It is a defect with this laptop.  i usually have to reboot my laptop to resolve. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Sticky Keys is unchecked so there must be something else causing the problem.  The slightest amount of pressuer on the palm rest will send my laptop in to a locked Contorl key mode.  only a rebook will fix the problem.  Very annoying.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have NOT been able to get an answer to why this happens but it does.  And when it does, I have a solution that does NOT require rebooting.  Which I agree is very frustrating and time consuming.

This works for me no matter when it happens:

Press BOTH Control (CTRL) down at the same time for about 5 seconds. 

When you let up, the stuck CTRL key phenomenon should be gone.

Good Luck,

Hank

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.